Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureOther - Society & Culture · 1 decade ago

Why is society so intolerant of people with different lifestyles then the norm?

Why does everyone have to be the same to be accepted?

Favorite Answer

I think people are intolerant because they fear what they cannot understand. A personal example: many, many years ago, when I was in high school, mini-skirts were popular. I wore a skirt that was mid-calf and NO ONE talked to me at lunch. It was very bizarre. If you are different, people don't know what to do with you.

One should never tolerate someone with an abnormal lifestyle. It we should except gays because that is normal for them, then we have to accept child molesters because that is normal for them. People with abnormal lifestyles are always pushing their lifestyles on everyone when they should just keep it to themselves. Why doesn't society accept organizations like the KKK since that is their lifestyle and no one should be intolerant because they don't have to be the same

Because that is the way the world is, it is and ignorant hateful place. People don't think its noramal that I'm punk/goth but I don't care. There is no such thing as normal anyway, normal is different for everybody. It shouldn't matter as long as someone doesn't get hurt.

it is human nature from biological imperative of survival to flock together with birds of a feather. It is natural to fear the stranger/invader from outside who looks or acts different.

these instincts are well rooted and must be overcome with learning and intention as we get civilized. But it is hard to trust a stranger, especially if he looks different. we tend to trust those who look similar to what we are familiar with. That is why some serial killers are so normal looking. the wierdos get caught right away. they are natural suspects.

People are raised that way. What is considered normal is installed in their heads. For example, Bestiality is totally disgusting!! I'm sure, 99% will agree. We are taught (by our society) that it's immoral and just gross, which it is. But I'm sure there is that very small percentage that doesn't think so.

MAJORITY RULES. ITS THE LAW OF NATURE.