Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMusic · 1 decade ago

Hey, does anyone have any good tips? (only guitar players are going to be able to answer this)?

does anyone have any good tips about pinch harmonics? I just learned how to do them from my guitar teacher so I know I'm doing it right, I just can't seem to get the same cool sound my teacher is getting. Any tips?

Favorite Answer

Make sure you are holding your pick at the very bottem.The trick is to let your thumb or thumb nail hit the string with the pick at same time.Thats why it's called pinch harmonics because your kind of pinching the string with a pick and thumb.It takes practice.Another big thing i notice when doing harmonics is the more distortion or(gain) you have the easier it is.Your guitar is a big part to pending on the humbucker or pickup in your guitar.Best advice i can give is if you play through a amp turn the gain or distortion all the up as high as it will go and practice the technique with pick and thumb .I see that your user name is dimebag (one of my favorites) he had many effects to help him get the sounds he had but distortion is huge!!!!!!!!!!!!Good luck

How is your hardware on your guitar? Some say harmonics have nothing to do with the hardware, but thats false, especialy with pinchs, A guitar with a good sustain has very good harmonics, which is why I never understood why kerry king used bc rich, they suck

guitar and amp def are a big factor, practice and research online, wholenote.com is a great place to learn pretty much anything about guitar on

I think you need to buy the similar guitar effects that your teacher has. the hardware, the amp. or maybe your teacher adds pulls or he bends the string, you just don't notice it. maybe the pickups?

practice- non guitar player too.