James W asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 1 decade ago

what is one of abraham lincolns best times?

2 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Abraham Lincoln is such a great individual that it is difficult to express one the best of his times. I believe Lincoln's appreciation and acceptance of others provided him an unusual ability to relate to people, circumstances and situations. His willingness to meet with anyone who called upon him, perhaps represents one of his best of times. He was a good man and a President of all the people.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

One of the best times, is when he wrote and presented his Second Inaugeral Address. This address fundamently altered that way Americans saw the nature of the Union. Not a compact of States focused on rights for property holders (especially slavery) per the constitution, but rights as put forth in the Declaration of Independence i.e. that All men (and women) are created equal and endowed with certain rights including life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. Lincoln in one or two key addresses place the Declaration at the heart of how we think about America today. Jefferson died in 1826, but I am sure that he would have been very pleased. Lincoln saved the country in several ways--retained the Union, freed the slaves and reinterpreted the nature of the Republic from property rights to equality. As Ronald Reagan would later say...Not Bad...Not Bad at all.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.