Computer will boot at home, but not at work...weird!?

I know, sounds weird, but true...Older Compaq Presario 5050 running Windows 98 will boot and run fine at home - but when I take it to work and set it up, it won't boot, keyboard won't install, just hangs at boot screen. Any suggestions?

Update:

Good answers....I thought it might be a power problem....but I left out that I also get an error message at home saying that the drivers for the software device enumerator are not installed (don't know if that would have anything to do with it or not). Also, at work, the monitor has a green plug (looks like a speaker plug) as well as the vga plug, what's that for?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Your work electricity is probably being overrun by tons of other peoples computers and programs. I'm betting that you just don't have enough boost in your computer to keep it running at work. Either that or there is too much power at work and your windows 98 computer just can't handle the extra boost.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 4 years ago

i might want to commence by going into your bios setup and choose finished checks on startup. The heading varies from submit behaviour to startup thoughts, this may run a speedy examine on all of your hardware and record any mistakes. The default is in a good number of cases quickly boot. once you've a drivers cd, there is in a good number of cases some diags on there. Boot from the cd and choose diags. that is likely a memory issue, once you've 2 ram sticks, get rid of one million and restart. Then replace to instruct both ram are solid. that is likely a disk force issue again the diags, once you've them, will examine it. once you've get good of entry to to a special device attempt including the suspect force as a device disk and boot. If that fails upload as a person disk and run checkdisk at it. Rt click the force, residences, equipment, examine problematical force, enable all the options and proceed. sit down decrease back and watch it run, the addresses could run with a rather consistant rythmn. no matter if the force isn't defective, take this danger to reproduction off any effective information to cd or similar in case you want to reload the OS. contact the organisation and ask for the cds to allow you to reload. Dell, as an example, purely grant cds once you've a issue so that you've the recent variations.

• 1 decade ago

Company network is blocking outside computer (non-company) from access. Contact your company network administrator.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

If your computer is not working properly while you are working on it, it could be a problem with device drivers, hardware or software.

Detailed instructions at http://tinyurl.com/yk5zpr

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Make sure the surge protector is on. Make sure there isn't many power surges. Make sure their network isn't blocking you.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.