how many years are necessary to clean repair credit?

Favorite Answer

Seven years, and then you can ask for the credit bureaus to take it off your report.

You can start to clean up your credit now. I would highly advise that you get all three reports from the various credit companies (Experian, Trans-Union and Equifax). You'll be amazed at how much false or duplicated information can be on your reports.

Once you receive your reports, you'll need to send a letter to each company that shows the information you're disputing. It'll take some time and some tenacity on your part but it's well worth it.

When I went through a divorce almost 6 years ago, my credit was in shambles. Upon obtaining my credit reports, I was able to add almost 100 points to my credit score within a year just by getting the companies to correct mistakes on their reports.

If you have truly neglected your credit, it can take seven years for it to come off your credit report. And don't count on the credit reporting company to clean it up for you! Go to myfico.com for some pointers in how to clean up your credit as well as how to build and maintain good credit. By the way, in most states, you're entitled to one free report from each company per year so what have you got to lose other than a little of your time??

Source(s): I have an awesome financial advisor

usually 7 but you can start cleanning it up now by consolidating your balances and making atleast your minimum credit payments. Making payments on time is a huge way to start improving your score even if you can't pay off the whole thing, if you are making an effort the lenders like that. Check out Suze Orman's site. She has great tips on cleanning up your credit situation

Hi cggcb,

If you filed for bankruptcyit takes 7 years. But there are ways to also be building up your credit make sure all ultilties are paid on time, car loan, house payment, get another credit card & ALWAYS make full payment that way you'll be building your credit back up! Good luck & have a good day!

Source(s): myself

depends on the country u are in

some have laws that say bad credit cant be reported after 6 or 7 years. if you debt is not too bad you can ask the creditor to remove the entry if you make some repayment some creditors will do this

Seven seems to be the magic number