I have to solve and carefully explain each step as if I was teaching it to a seventh grader.?

You have two measuring cups: one holds exactly 5 ounces of water and the other holds exactly 3 ounces of water. There are no markings on the cups and you are not able to mark the cups at all. You are given a huge bucket of water. Is it possible to measure and place exactly 4 ounces of water in the bigger cup? If so, carefully explain your method; if not, explain why not.

I'm learning how to teach math but this one confuses me and the grade I'll be teaching when I finish would be like first. Man I hate word problems, can somebody help me?

Favorite Answer

The method that I would use would be:

1. to completely fill your five ounce measuring cup with water

2. next, from the five ounce cup measure out 3 ounces of water using the 3 ounce measuring cup and discard this water... leaving you with 2 ounces of water in the larger cup

3. place this (2 ounces) water into the 3 ounce container

4. next, pour water into the 5 ounce container again

5. then, empty the bucket... leaving no water in it

6. next, empty your 3 ounce container (which has the 2 ounces of water in it) into the bucket

7. then, from the five ounce cup measure out 3 ounces of water using your 3 ounce measuring cup and discard this water

8. last, pour the water from your bucket back into the 5 ounce container, and you will now have 4 measured ounces of water in that container

1) First fill the cup holding 3 ounces full with water.

2) Drain this water into the cup with 5 ounces capacity. So now, 5 ounces cup contains 3 ounces of water and 3 ounces cup contains nothing.

3) Again fill the 3 ounces cup with water.

4) Drain water from 3 ounce cup into 5 ounce cup until its full. So now, the 3 ounce cup contains (3-2) = 1 ounce of water.

5) Full drain out the 5 ounce cup. Transfer the 1 ounce of water from 3 ounce cup into 5 ounce cup. Now, the 5 ounce cup contains exactly 1 ounce of water.

6) Fill up the 3 ounce cup with water and transfer it to 5 ounce cup.

7) Now, 5 ounce cup will have 1 + 3 = 4 ounces of water. And the problem is solved