Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 1 decade ago

My Ex called me and told me I was to be in court on Friday cause she is sue me?

My ex called me and told me that I was to be in court cause she is sueing me for a bunch of stuff and the courts never sent me anything. Why would that be i thought they would have to send me paperwork

• Carl
    Favorite Answer

If you have a lawyer, notify him or her right away. If you don't have a lawyer, get one.

You should contact the court to determine if a hearing is actually set for Friday. Even though you might not have been served with papers, it would not be a good idea to ignore this situation as others have suggested.

For you all you, your ex might have gotten someone to falsify a proof of service to show that you were properly served. You might have to request a continuance and properly prepare for the hearing. If there is a hearing and you don't show up, the court might make and adverse ruling against you that could be difficult to undo.

Source(s): 12 years as a California attorney

I'm not sure I believe your ex-wife. Why would she tell you? If she were suing you for something, it would be to her advantage if you didn't show up. Then she could try to get an immediate default judgement in her favor.

However, there is a possibility she's telling the truth. Call the Clerk of Courts for that courthouse and ask them. If they really did try to serve you with papers and couldn't find you, in some jurisdictions they can publish a notice in the newspaper classifieds and consider that the summons service.

you should get a letter telling you about the suit, and the time to appear,, but if you do not appear , you can loose the suit by default. you need to get your attorney on this very quickley..

sounds like you ex may be playing games.

the letter should come from her attorney ,by way of the court.

if your ex is fooling around with this , there are several ways on the legal side ,to irrate her. check the laws in you state

They do have to serve you papers. Call the courts and check. Most likely she's just trying to be a pain in the you know what. Cover yourself though and give the courts a call, if your supposed to be there they will tell you. Good Luck

• Gaby A

Double check w/ others that may live in your house. These papers sometimes get dropped off by the sheriff's dept (at least in IL they do)...if someone else signed for them and forgot to tell you, you might need to appear and ask for a continuance.

Well, it's proably just a threat. If your ex-wife was really going to sue you, you'd get a very official looking subpoena.

Don't go to court on Friday because your ex is lying to you to get you excited.

• cantcu

They are required to send you everything filed, but you need to notify the court of your attorney, or file a pro se to represent yourself!

An initial suit has to be served by a sheriff! If you don't have one, and you have not moved there is nothing filed!

The court should have sent you a notice, call the judge and tell him that your wife told you and say you can't make it even if you can, get it rescheduled for after the New Year, that will really PO the ex.

At least a supoena to advise you that you must be in court for this and that you can get a lawyer to defend you

Call the court, get confirmation.