Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelEurope (Continental)Other - Europe · 1 decade ago

Is it true that Monaco is very expensive to vacation there?

After seeing that new Jay Z video, it made me want to go there now. So my friend and I are planning to go there in February. But I've heard it is VERY expensive. And I already did the Wikipedia search. Has anyone gone there? If so, how did you like it?

Pros and Cons.

Favorite Answer

When i went to Monaco a few years ago we only stayed in Monaco for the day. If you don't want to spend too much money, do what we did. Stay in Nice, which is a French city very close to Monaco and then just go to Monaco for the day. Monaco is the second smallest country in the world ( not even 1 square mile ) so all you really need is a day.

I hope this helps ;)

Hi, Monaco is not that expensive for tourist. People have the wrong image just because many rich people live there. 4-star hotels are expensive (but that's also the case verywhere else).

Here is a very good link if you want to find accomodation (you can search hotels by star rating): http://www.visitmonaco.com/

My recommendation would be for the Colombus hotel which is very good value (if it fits your bufget). Otherwise, you can stay at Nice or Menton (Cannes is very expensive expensive as well). Another good location is the Vista Palace Hotel which is on the mountain overlooking Monaco.

Apart from Hotels (which tend to be more expensive), Monaco is not particularly expensive. There are many good italian restaurant where you can have a great dinner (including wine and the lemoncello for about 30-50 euros per person): my personnal favorite are Pinochio and La Saliere. There are also many restaurant on the Rock (old village) that offer traditional Monaco food at very reasonable prices (30-50 again).

If you go there in February, hotel accomodation and flights should be a good deal. If you have the time, go watch a AS Monaco soccer game. THere isn't much going on in February but at least, you'll have the time to visit many places.

As for sightseeing, Visti the Palace, the new Grimnaldi Forum (always new expos there), the Oceanographique meseum, the Jardin Exotique (botanical garden), the Jardin Japonais, the Soccer Walk of Fame (behind the Grimaldi Forum).

Finally, for clubbing, Karement is a youngster (16-30) nightclub which has been very trendy off late. Jimmy'z is the famous nightclub and is more expensive (20 euros per drink or 200 euros for a bottle of Absolut). You can also check out the Zebra lounge (on top of the Karrement- overlooking the sea), very nice.. Finally, a coffee on the terrace of the Cafe de Paris is always nice.

Monaco is a great place for vacation and I'm sure you'll have a great time. I grew up there so I know most of the place. If you need any more info, just post... :-)

Source(s): I live there

My suggestion? Take a WEstern Mediterranean cruise through Royal Caribbean and when you're docked in Nice, take the Monaco tour. It will take you into the Royal Cathedral where Prince Rainier and Princess Grace were married (and buried), the oceanagraphique museum, past the houses of Princeses Caroline and Stephanie, to the Royal Palace, the Grand Hotel and the Grand Casino. My 16 yr old son has health issues and was eligible for a "wish" frmo Make-A-Wish--he chose the RC Western Med cruise and Monaco was our first excursion (we boarded in France and not in Barcelona--you can choose where to embark.) It was an absolutely AMAZING excursion and the trop of a lifetime. RC is a wonderful cruise line w/ top notch employees and the excursions were amazing. Yes, M-A-W paid for all of the cruise and one of the excursions but we paid for three more on our own--and they were worth every single penny.

Source(s): Traveled there in 2012

Why not set up base camp in nearby France and simply travel to Monaco each day by train. That will save money and Nice, only 30 or so minutes away by train, is also very beautiful.

It's pretty expensive, there is not a lot of cheap accommodation available. But other than that, it's about the same as many european countries.

I'd stay in Nice or Cannes (France) or possibly even Ventimiglia (Italy), the commute is very short, and the scenery is equally good.

its alright.. but if you stay near the casino its pretty pricey especially at the Hermitage but if you can afford it its an experience worth doing.. if you are on a budget stay in Nice and drive to Monaco..

• Annieo

It is one of the most expensive places to live, as well as travel to. Mostly rich businessmen/women stay there. I have never been there, but I here it is quite nice and very upscale. Have fun on your trip!

no not at all