Uboat304 asked in PetsFish · 1 decade ago

What is the best way to treat white spot on a cloan loach - there are so many conflicting views! Thanks!?

Three newly added clown loaches to a community tank. One has quite a few white spots, the other, only one. The stock tank showed no other signs so I think I've caught it very early. Also have tetras and danios in the tank. Retailer recommended WS3 (King british brand) which contains malachite green. I've also raised the temperature slowly to 26/27 degrees and taken out the carbon filter - apparently this stops the medicine working if left in? Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Favorite Answer

Clown loaches have no scales and typical medication like malachite green will be toxic to them. I had the best luck raising the temperature of the tank to 87 degrees F. and adding one tablespoon sea salt per 5 gallons of water. This is safe. The ich falls off them fast and the salt kills them. You can also use quinine sulfate safely, one capsul per five gallons, but raise the temperature anyway as it speeds up the life cycle of the parasite. Good luck.

Source(s): Fish dealer 10 years, handled hundreds of clown loaches successfully. They are susceptible to ich.

Your Clown Loaches have Ich! This is a parasite that is infecting your tank, and you should go to your pet store ASAP and get treatment for it. Put a tablespoon of salt in your tank for every 10 gallons of water. Raise the temperature, as it will make the parasite not able to breathe a whole lot, since there is less oxygen in warm water. But get your water treated, as your other fish will get infected. Good luck!

ws3 is a really good treatment for white spot . also keeping the temp up at 82 f . will speed up the lifecycle of the ich. which is a fish louse, which attaches to a host fish.then feeds on that fish untill it has fed enough.it will then drop off of that host fish. fall to the bottom of the tank.where it will then release up to 2000 free swiming ich parasites waiting 2 find new host fishes. also the person who sold u the clown loaches, should of informed u, that because clown loaches are scaleless fish, they are more open to attack from white spot , than most other fish, so as a precaution, whenever u introduce loaches 2 your aquarium , you should always treat tank with (ws3 white spot treatment), as a precautionary measure.

There are plenty ofanti-white spot treatments on the market and I would trust your retailer's recommendation.I have heard that a pinch of common salt works just as well but haven't tried it myself.Good luck anyway!

Keep that up for about a week and your problem should clear up