I have a student who lies to me everyday, what should I do?

I'm at my wits end with one of my fourth grade students. She is a sweet girl but lies to me every single day. I feel like I cannot trust her with anything and I really don't know what else to do. I need to let her know her actions are wrong in a way that will effect her. Any ideas?

Favorite Answer

Establish with her who you will trust over her. For example make it very clear that you will always trust another adults observations over hers. Also make it clear that when there is wrong doing and she lies about it there will be two consequences one for lying and one for the act. If she tells the truth there will only be one consequence. Create a situation where she will be forced to make a decision between telling the truth and lying like maybe a question that she will get wrong for sure (but opens a teachable moment) then ask , "was your answer incorrect?" If she tells the truth offer her great praise, also show that students who are honest get great praise. We tend to take those students for granted sometimes.

Fourth graders are still pretty loyal and want to earn your approval. Emphasize that "It makes it very difficult to 'like' you when I can't trust you."

Source(s): I went to this workshop by the guy named Mark Boynton. Sometimes the Bureau of Education and Research does workshops, but here is his book. http://www.amazon.com/Educators-Preventing-Solving...
  • ?????

Tell her you know she is lying and keep asking her why? Have a parents conference and as suggested above let her see the counselor. That way the counselor, the parents and you might be able to work together on what is going on.

Have a conference with her parents and ask what is going on at home and tell them that you like their daughter a lot, but she is having problems.

• WC

One sure way of teaching her a lesson about how unfair and hurtful lying can be, is to set up a situation where you promise her something and then renege.

play the boy who cried wolf

stop listening to her when you know she is lying. she might get the point if you do it enough.

• Jez

Send her to her guidance counsellor, it could be that there are deeper rooted problems.

go ask her r u sure u r telling the truth.see what she replies and then carry on.

ok say to her parents or beat her