Electrical connection with Copper Wire and AA Batteries?

I need help. I am doing this project for school and I need to create an electrical current using copper wire and batteries. How should i connect the copper wires to the AA bateries. I need help. I tried connecting them but the batterie is giving off no heat or anything. The batteries have power in them. They are re-chargeable batteries.

Favorite Answer

I don't know exactly what you're up to, but as to how to connect the batteries...the usual way is to get a battery holder (Radio Shack sells them). You'll have to solder the wires to the terminals, of course (if you don't know how to solder, you ought to learn!)

You are lucky the battery ain't givin' off no heat.....

Batteries, when too hot can even explode.

This is what you do:

Connect 2 thicker wires (say gauge 12) to your battery. Then connect a very thin and short wire to those 2 wire ends. That thin wire will get hot (and might even burn out, like a fuse). By "thin wire" I mean, dissect a flexible cable, and use just one of the many strands which are inside.

Hold the copper wire over the end of a battery then use aluminum foil to hold it in place, then use normal tape on the aluminum.

You probably will not detect heat, You can use a voltmeter on the copper wires or get some kind of LED light etc from radio shack.

try using more turns of insulated aluminium wire because of the lower voltage, so you get a similar force make sure there is a good connection with the ends of your coil so that current is flowing