What Black Republican do you think has advanced racial equality the most?

Rob I said Black Republican not white Republican

Steve Thanks for giving me a laugh and a smile

Awe Barbara in modern times?? No you making me feel old

Randy C you believe wrongly unfortunately both were Republicans

Now who would give a thumbs down to this question???

OK Folks yes this was a personal test of mine to see how many people knew Dr. King was a Republican a fact that sadley all to many people should but don't know

Favorite Answer

Martin Luther King Jr

Colin Powell or Condoleeza Rice in recent history, Martin Luther King Jr. overall.

MLK was a Republican. See the link I posted in the source section.

And just to refute the guy below saying that Dr. King was a democrat and his father switched support to Kennedy, please see the statement below:

Democrat President John F. Kennedy is lauded as a proponent of civil rights. However, Kennedy voted against the 1957 Civil rights Act while he was a senator, as did Democrat Senator Al Gore, Sr. And after he became president, John F. Kennedy was opposed to the 1963 March on Washington by Dr. King that was organized by A. Phillip Randolph who was a black Republican. President Kennedy, through his brother Attorney General Robert Kennedy, had Dr. King wiretapped and investigated by the FBI on suspicion of being a Communist in order to undermine Dr. King.

Doesn't sound like Kennedy and Dr. King supported each other at all to me.

LOL, I didn't mean to make you feel old when I said recent history...I meant "right now" My apologies :).

no Dr.King was not a republican... That is a lie

"In October 1960, when his son Martin Luther King, Jr. was arrested at a peaceful sit-in in Atlanta, Georgia, Robert Kennedy telephoned the judge and helped secure King's release. King expressed his appreciation for these calls. Although King Jr. himself made no endorsement, his father, who had previously been a lifelong registered Republican, and had endorsed Republican Richard Nixon, switched his support to Kennedy"

what is your point..? none of the current African American republicans have done anything directly to promote racial equality? And Jesse Jackson is a dried in the wool Democrat and he was Dr. Kings protege.. what the hell are you on about?

None really have. If by Republican you mean a leading figure in the GOP. If someone can think of GOP member who has advanced racial equality by even a slight bit please by all means let me know their name and what they did. Saying a bunch of loving doving apple pie stuff concerning race when the cameras are facing you dosen't count for much either. Its all about policy, and quite frankly both parties are quite terrible when it comes to racial equality, espically the GOP.

MLK was by no means a Republican. Much of the his political views transcended the mainstream. If you don't believe me do a web search. Its surprising that some seem to be giving his name as an answer.

Source(s): The spirit of struggle
  • Frederick Douglass, Jackie Robinson, MLK Jr, GW Carver, Larry Elder, Booker T Washington and Jimmy Walker.

oooooh. I am not that well educated so I will certainly follow up on how others answer this. I am stumped on narrowing it to Republicans. But off the top of my head, there is Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas, Condoleeza Rice. Can somebody out there help me on this one.

• ?

Martin Luther King.

Condoleeza Rice

Condoleza Rice

Colin Powell.