Is it normal for a wrist to keep hurting after removing a cast for a week?

I removed my cast a week ago from a broken wrist and my wrist still hurts whenever i bend it to the maximum. But the pain is not in the bone, it feels like its in the ligaments, is this normal? and is there any way i can speed up the healing process?

Favorite Answer

HI

Yup it is normal.

I broke my wrist a few years back. The ligaments have been sitting in one position for a long time (weeks)...so they will hurt when you start using it. Also you need to build up your muscles in your wrist again. (the tendons are also involved sometimes).

The best thing to do is to see an OT (occupational threapist)

also if you have a parifin wax bath machine..soak it in there and then wrap in a plastic wrap and a towel to keep warm. This will help to loosen your hand up. You might also want to start working on squeezing playdough and work up to clay. flex your wrist up and down over the edge of a table. Massage the hand, wrist anywhere that is sore with cocoa butter cream/lotion ...this is also great if you have a scar.

I hope this helps...and good luck!

Yes, it is. You can go to a physical therapist so that the full flexibility of your wrist returns or you can do it yourself which will be less expensive. You will have to force your wrist to extend a little further from the point where the pain begins several times during the day and after several days you will notice the improvement.

You're in the most difficult healing stage. Your wrist is normal. It took 3 months for me to get back to 95% usage. You can heal faster by doing a few wrist excercises daily - but you want to be patient and not over do it because you could make it worse. See a physical therapist! They really help. What kind of quack doctor do you go to who doesn't care enough about you to let you know what to expect?

well, since its been in a cast for several months, the muscles and ligaments haven't been used and they are weaker now. Take it easy on the wrist, but physical therapy will help to strengthen it. your doctor should be able to provide some exercises to you.

it may just be weak. after getting a cast removed your wrist will be realyl weak. but with in a week it should be gaining its strenght back. if a few more days pass and its not better i would recomened going back to the doctors.

Source(s): life experience

yes the arm has been stiff for so long and once you start moving it. Pain will go away the more you move it. take the time to go slow and you might not damage it anymore. Good Luck