Years ago, I remember reading of some monks, (in England or Italy, I don't remember who observed an "explosion

on the Moon". I think it was in the late 13th century.

Since this is report is definately an impossibility, (since Gallileo's telescope was yet a century hence), I attribute this viewing to too much Passover? wine or some kind of concocted conspiracy.

Has anyone else heard of this story??

I think this may be when the term "hoax" was coined....

mailrick, was this the begining of "telescopic vision"?

Mailrick1--I guess I still follow the "too much wine" theory...unless you're superman.

Favorite Answer

Canterbury - 1178 AD Depending on the size of the explosion, you wouldn't necessarily need a telescope to see an event on the moon.

Also - http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?story...

In the above story, the guy used a telescope and a camera to photograph a possible explosion - which is still being debated.

An observed moon "explosion" is very plausible, yet so is the wine! While sampling some wines - for science purposes ONLY! - I think I may have observed a few "moon explosions" myself............LOL!

It's possible that they saw a meteor strike on the moon. A meteor travelling fast enough would create an explosion upon impact (the energy of momentum and mass would be converted to heat at the moment of collision).

Some monks have the capability of leaving their bodies, science knows this, but they won't support it.