Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesPhilosophy · 1 decade ago

What are some principles to follow to be able to ask good questions?

Thanks everyone.

10 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Applying the principles of rhetoric helps you structure an argument so the truth becomes immediately apparent to your audience. With the Rhetorical Triangle approach, we focus on the three things that have the greatest impact on a question:

1. The writer or speaker:

Whether consciously or sub-consciously, your audience wants to know what your motives are for your communication. If you don’t make it clear why you are presenting information, some will assume you are not being totally candid or are hiding something

2.The audience:

When you communicate, in writing or verbally, you need to understand your audience. Knowing who you're speaking to helps you avoid using technical terms when speaking to lay people, or “dumbing down” the content if your message is intended for professionals.

3. The context:

Finally, your audience analyzes the content and circumstances of your communication.

What events preceded the communication?

What types of arguments are used?

Are they logical and well thought out?

How are they delivered?

Where is the document or speech delivered?

Is this communication necessary?

Here the emphasis is on logic and reason, or logos (pronounced log-oss). Your audience needs to be able to follow what you are saying for it to be believable. Ask yourself:

Have I presented a logical, well-constructed question?

How do I support my questions?

What evidence do I have?

What are the counterarguments?

And finally as you have presented your question:

with proper manners and with sound reasoning...

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

Ask what you wonder and think about.

Be clear and to the point with it(KISS: Keep It Simple Stupid, er, Silly. lol). The most profound questions are very simple and short and to the point. Now, as for my answers...I can't promise anything of the same........

If the question is of a deep nature, maybe use an example to help describe the question. Use details too.

Your above question is the perfect example of a perfectly good question.

You post some of the best questions I've seen on here(and your grammar is better than most people who's native language is english----wonderful, lola).

Of course, a great question doesn't mean great answers(as we all know). Not sure how neanderthals have access to a computer but..........

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Well, you seem to actually know how to spell and form a coherent sentence,a very unusual feat on YA!

Keep the question simple and to the point. For most of the mouth-breathers on here you're going to have to ask elementary questions. Actually, the more inane the question, the more answers you will get!

• 1 decade ago

Questions need to be clear and simple, a better question requires more than just a one word web search. The best are those for which the asker genuinely wants a reply, rather than for rhetoric or laziness.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I think you've done very well with this one. You asked a question using proper spelling and grammar, you asked about something in which you were interested, and you offered your thanks to potential respondants. Be sure to include necessary details in future questions, if they are required for clarity, and you'll be all set!

• 1 decade ago

1.develop curiosity.

2.Be clear about what you want to ask.

3.Any question is good as long as you have a good reason to ask it.

4.I liked your question

• 1 decade ago

The question must be sufficiently interesting and it should put ones mind to work. But you might consider avoiding cliches.

• 1 decade ago

Think before asking, and have people thinkng about what is being asked.

• Never to give room for 'report abuse'.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Who, what, where, when, and why.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.