BeachBum asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 1 decade ago

Can you tell a Republican from a Democrat by looks alone?

Was visiting my sister last week out of town. In her city, PBS's The Newshour comes on at 6pm then again on a different channel at 7pm.. point is I had watched it at 6 then she came home and we were watching it again.

One segment of The Newshour had a group of newly elected freshman congressional members consisting of dems and reps.

I said to her, "Don't look at the bottom of the screen (it shows their party when they are talking) and see if you can tell what party they are by the way they look".

Out of (I think was 8), she got all but one right just by the way they looked. She then said, "Hey that was fun let's do that again." So, I turned the channel to a congressional hearing on CSPAN where you see the committee members asking questions. Btw, we muted the tv in order to not give it away by what they were asking.

Once again, she was able to guess the person's party just by how they looked.

We made some conclusions that I won't give away now.

What do you think?

Ok had a few answerers so I will give you our conclusions:

- White males:

- Democrat white males tend to look congenial and if they look a little eccentric they are democrat.

- Republican white males were easy to tell. They always had a boldness or sense of arrogance. They always tended to talk louder. (We actually discussed this as we picked them and narrowed the word down to arrogance)

- White females:

- Ok this might sound funny but we could tell by the hair. YES REALLY. Republican females always had what we called church lady hair.

People of Color:

- Females were always democrat.

- Males were impossible to tell.

Favorite Answer

Regarding your sister's ability to recognize Democrats from Republicans, I wish our highly placed intelligence officials were capable of distinguishing Sunnis from Shiites.

When questioned, former FBI chief of counter-terrorism, Gary Bald, couldn't. Willie Hulon, chief of the bureau's new national-security branch, couldn't. Representative Terry Everett, Republican of Alabama, vice chairman of the House intelligence subcommittee on technical and tactical intelligence, couldn't. Representative Jo Ann Davis, Republican of Virginia, head of the House intelligence subcommittee charged with overseeing the CIA's performance in recruiting Islamic spies and analyzing information, couldn't. Maybe if they took a cue from you and your sister and spent quality time watching TV (Al Jazeera), they'd get the hang of it.

But of course, they'd have to start off slow (you know, sneak a peek at the bottom of the screen!).

Hey, it's a start.

Interesting.

I would say it would be easier to pick a Republican out than a Democrat. Not going to give my reasons because I don't want to offend anyone. Definitely can tell a difference though.

I don't see the Church Lady hair but it is all in the eye of the beholder I guess.

What you refer to as arrogance I would refer to as confidence when it comes to Republicans.

I certainly will agree with you on when an individual looks eccentric though. No doubt where they stand.

I noticed in the races around here in IL and IA. The Republicans seemed older. And their movements were more stiff and so were their expressions. And, their whole delivery and demeanor just seemed really rehearsed, unnatural. Something about that uptightness makes me feel mistrust. The Democrats seem to be younger by about 10 years, more genuine in their delivery. They seemed like they believed in what they were doing and saying. But, if I had the TV on mute I'm not sure if I would be able to tell. I'll have to try it. I'll have my Mom do it too... of course she's had her nose in politics for so long she knows half their names before they appear on screen.

No, rather can not. the two events are very conceited in my view. i'm now registered democrat, having been disgusted with the republican occasion that died after Reagan, yet now plan to pass self sustaining after this crap the democrats are pulling over Iowa and New Hampshire's administration of the primaries--and their disqualifying Michigan and Florida and everyone else who dares to undertaking Iowa and New Hampshires' place in determining who would be president. plenty for "democracy", it relatively is the stable previous boys on top of issues in the two events.

I can usually tell. Its just something in their overall appearance, not the way they dress, but more facial expressions, almost an aura of sorts. To me, it's like the republicans look "pinched", for an example, Rumsfeld. Where the democrats look more relaxed and friendly, John Edwards for example.

I have noticed that must republican will wear something red where as the Democrats where something blue. Near and around election time. Aside from that what I have noticed is that most democrats are genuinely smiling. Where as the Republicans have a more cautious smile.

I think you can. Sometimes I could do that but most of the time I'm lost. You are right in that Republican males look arrogant, that is how I'm able to know they're republican.

No. Some Libs look perfectly normal.

This is interesting. I don't think I could tell by looking.

• ?

Bigot.You display the true nature of a racist and a bigot.Your sister most likely is a little better educated in who is in office.You on the other hand are some what simple minded.