Did Jesus Christ really exist?

Favorite Answer

Is there historical and scientific proof of Jesus?

It is interesting that when people seek historic and scientific proof of Jesus, they immediately discount the Bible as a reliable source.

If we look at the Bible simply as a historic document, it should be among the most reliable on record compared with others.

Historians routinely cite Herodotus as a key source of information. He wrote from 488 B.C. to 428 B.C. and the earliest copy of his work comes from 900 A.D. (1,300 years later). There are only eight known copies of his work.

By contrast, the New Testament of the Bible (with all its information about Jesus) was written between 40 A.D. and 100 A.D. The earliest known copy is from 130 A.D. and there are 5,000 known copies in Greek, 10,000 in Latin and 9,300 in other languages.

Still, to put to rest the notion that there is no historic and scientific proof of Jesus outside the Bible, we may look to Jewish historian Flavius Josephus and to Roman historian Carius Cornelius Tacitus - both well known and accepted.

Josephus, in the book Jewish Antiquities" wrote:

"At that time lived Jesus, a wise man, if he may be called a man; for he performed many wonderful works. He was a teacher of such men as received the truth with pleasure. . . .And when Pilate, at the instigation of the chief men among us, had condemned him to the cross, they who before had conceived an affection for him did not cease to adhere to him. For on the third day he appeared to them alive again, the divine prophets having foretold these and many other wonderful things concerning him. And the sect of the Christians, so called from him, subsists at this time" (Antiquities, Book 18, Chapter 3, Section 1).

Tacitus, in writing about accusations that Nero burned the city of Rome and blamed it on Christians, said the following:

". . .Nero procured others to be accused, and inflicted exquisite punishment upon those people, who were in abhorrence for their crimes, and were commonly known by the name of Christians. They had their denomination from Christus (Christ, dm.), who in the reign of Tibertius was put to death as a criminal by the procurator Pontius Pilate. . . .At first they were only apprehended who confessed themselves of that sect; afterwards a vast multitude discovered by them, all of which were condemned, not so much for the crime of burning the city, as for their enmity to mankind. . . ." (Tacitus, Annals, 15, 44).

Learn More about the Historical Jesus! Click on the Answers button @ http://web.express56.com/~bromar/

Absolutely..Regardless of what one believes, the evidence is very strong..The historical Jesus in my opinion is not a logical

debate

. Was Jesus who he said he was is a matter of religious belief .but the historical Jesus is a matter of history because in my opinion myths can be handed down from generation to generation but they can't influence the world in the way this one

life has,,

It is my understanding that not one original transcript of William Shakespeare was ever found, is there doubt he existed??

Jesus Christ does exist, (present tense).

There is not one letter not one word leaning toward him aside from the bible.

Keep in mind the oldest versions of this known date to 3ed century C.E. 200+ years after he died.

That's like me writing about the civil war. and having it translated through many different tongues.

One would think someone of his abilities would have been wrote about by people who liked him AND people who hated him.

Until something more is found I'd not waste too much time on Mythologies.

The real world is all around you, and it's amazing but you'll never see it through stained glass.

You have everything in the world, anything in the world you can think of...you can have it....why be greedy and ask the "unknown" for more anyway?

Be well

Xavier

• dewcoons

Actually there are over 2,300 surviving copies of the New Testament that predate the 3rd century AD.  Including complete copies of the first three gospels and the writings of Paul from the 1st century.  

• GiGi

Of course he existed. His first name was Jesus, but his last name was NOT Christ.....

by the way

Everyone who studies Jesus knows he existed. There are some who think Jesus wasn't actually God, but they too know of his actual existence. I don't see how they get around the miracles and the perfect fulfillment of the ancient prophecies. Jesus was God, and still is today.

God Bless

Jett

Jesus of Bethlehem definately existed. But he was the son of Joseph, or some other guy weve never heard of. NOT GOD!

Jesus Christ only exists in the New Testement and the minds of Christians.

• Dr Dee

Yes

If you really want to know, you can ask God himself. If you ask in faith, God will reveal his son, Christ Jesus, and the reality of his existence, to you personally.

The reason I know the answer to that question is because I know Jesus. But more importantly, HE KNOWS ME.

(Matthew:7:22-23 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?

And then will I profess unto them *, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity. ")

Source(s): The Bible Luke 10:22 All things are delivered to me of my Father: and no man knoweth who the Son is, but the Father; and who the Father is, but the Son, and he to whom the Son will reveal him.

I think Jesus Christ probably did exost... but I don't think he was the son of God or special in any other way at all (except perhaps for being either very clever or for being a complete wacko who had everyone fooled.)

There are no prophets of God... and there is no God. So get over it y'all and start living in reality.

((((( r u randy? )))))

.