arcarsenltrance asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

Which type of dog sheds (i.e. gets on the furniture/clothes) less , golden retreiver or labrador retreiver?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Chetco
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Golden sheds less than a Labrador... However, I had one Lab that barely shed at all...Just don't feed kibble with corn, soy, wheat, beet pulp.

Source(s): dog breeder since 1968
    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

Goldens and labs both shed more in the fall and spring. Goldens require a lot of brushing due to the long coat. labs require brushing too, but IMO not as much as a Golden. All dogs shed to some extent.

• 1 decade ago

I have no idea how people say Labs shed more than goldens. Goldens have longer hair and shed a LOT. My Mom has a golden and man oh man does she have a hard time controlling the hair and it has nothing to do with diet because she feeds her exactly what the vet suggested. I have a Lab and she barely sheds at all.

And goldens and labs are both retrievers and were both bred to be water dogs so they have the same type of hair.... both waterproof.

• 1 decade ago

oops! Nope, Goldens and Labs -Don't- have the 'same type of hair'.

Labs have a slick-to-the-body coat of round hairs that taper to a point; Goldens have a slightly-harsh, longish coat of less-stiff hair, feathering on legs, petticoats and ears, and longer hair around bib. their coat doesn't follow body-contours as well as Lab's.

Goldens shed ENORMOUSLY in spring and fall- and it's not temperature, it's photoperiod that trips shedding. so if U want to pick up less hair, BRUSh regularly, daily in shed-season, and bag the loose -hair in a clean paper sack. if U want a warm scarf, send it off to be woven. Wash the dog before brushing out the hair U want to save - that way it's clean...

just DETANGLE the pre-bath coat with a gently-applied greyhound comb, so there are no knots going into the tub,,, which will never come out, once wet! :O

Labs shed every day of their lives, a little or a lot, it's constant; it's not as prone to staic charge as Goldens, but there's way more of it, over time.

Source(s): 30 yrs educating ppl, training pets; certified Vet's. Asst.
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I've had both and they both shed. I don't think there is a "less" on this one. But for brains - I'd go for the golden retriever :)

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

golden retrievers definatly as labradors were bred to work into water so they needed a dense waterproof coat and if they shedded it too much then it wouldnt be waterproof anymore. however if you are worried about the apperance of hair on furniture it depends on water colour furniture or labrador!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

THEY ALL SHED IN THE SUMMER 2 GET RID OF THEIR COAT

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

********ALL DOGS SHED!!!!!!**********

ALL dogs!!!

Labs & Goldens shed ***PROFUSELY***!!!!!!!!

COLOR determines how much that SHED hair SHOWS!!! DUH???

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.