Lv 5
Pam asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 1 decade ago

Has anyone committed a Family Member for Alcohol?

I wanted to see if there were any on here that has had experience with committing an Adult into forced treatment by appealing to a judge.

My sister is 43 years old. I know she can not stop drinking on her own. She feels she doesn't have a problem. She has 4 kids 18 yr old(moved due to this), 16 year old(is staying with a friend and wants to live there), 14 year old and a 3 year old. She is living with her bf/husband. I say that because they aren't legally married. Been together 8 years (3 yr old his).

My dad is an alcoholic who stopped drinking 4 yrs ago about. He drank for 35 years. Truly is a vicious cycle that my family is in. We have to do something because I know how much pain and anger those kids are holding. I was that kid. My entire family is in agreement to this. This makes me cry even typing this, however I'm not sure what else we can do. We have tried speaking with her and she won't hear of it.

Any responses that hopefully are helpful are welcome.

4 Answers

  • Jess
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    Well, not an alcoholic, but there's a close friend of my family who is committing her son for drugs as we speak. It's a hard thing to do, I know. My dad is an alcoholic, so I know how you feel. But don't worry. You're doing the right thing. You have to think about the children, and your sister. Alcohol can kill just as drugs and smoking can, and as you know, it can tear families apart. This may be the only way to save your sister, and even though she'll probably be angry at first, you have to know that she'll thank you all for this one day.

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

    I have a friend who watched her mother die a wretched death due to liver failure. She herself has begun drinking more frequently over the year or so since she told me about this. I believe that she wouldn't drink so much had she been more pro-active about helping her mother which COULD have resulted in saving her life. I wasn't aware that you could have a person committed for treatment unless they were totally broke and didn't have any where else to go. It's worth a try. So many families are ruined by these vicious cycles. I hope it works out!

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 4 years ago

    No.... you're asking approximately "extreme crimes"... i won't be able to guard absolutely everyone in my kinfolk by way of indisputable fact that if i'm working in regulation enforcement I took an oath to uphold the regulation and featuring kin breaking the regulation. i might hate to think of that the regulation enforcement is overlaying up such crimes as homicide, serial killers, and so on.... in simple terms by way of fact its "a kinfolk member" who did the deed.... there is not any excuse. all of us survive this rock jointly, people could be ethical. distinctly people in positions of protecting the customary public.

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    Girl, do whatever you have to do and make her quit, i know how painful it is too loose a person to a bottle, pls do whatever you have to do, move hill and mountain if you have to, just go for it,but she should want to stop it, it may not be in her hands but she should have the want to stop it.good luck.

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.