Why are Americans such sell outs?

Meaning that they actually shop at places like Walmart that are chains. Small businesses cant compete with evil corporations like that and therefore go out of business. I know Walmart is cheap but I think America needs to take a stand and not shop there for the greater good of mankind.

Favorite Answer

because they don't know what they are doin

^ Not to mention the internet bill? lol

As for the question...read The Wealth of Nations by Adam Smith. People are motivated by selfish reasons and this society is a primarily capitalist one that is driven by selfishness. Walmart offers the cheapest prices? Then people will buy from Walmart because that is the smartest thing they can do to serve themselves. If you want to live in a society that actually cares then move to some socialist country in Europe.

Because I am on diability where I get $638 a month to pay rent, lights, gas, phone, truck insurance and gasoline and groceries, etc. I can't afford to buy stuff from Sears, JC Penney's, or any of the small stores that have high prices. Hey, I also shop at HONK'S or the Dollar store. You want to send me $500 a month and I will start shopping else where. Oh, by the way I also have hospital, doctor and other bills to pay (oxygen, etc), and prescriptions.

Department stores like Walmart and Target are cheap (especially target, which carry designer brands at budget friendly prices). Yes most of these cheap stuff are imported, and purchasing them would be bad for the economy in the long run (since American-made goods are more expensive and difficult to sell), but the average middle class American (who is employed and doesn't have her own business couldn't care less [or more]. Just as long as they get value for their money, then its good for them.

you know i am reading a book right now that talks lot about a similler subject. it talks about how americans are obsessed with getting new things and how they will buy a computer, even though they know it will be obsolite in 2 years. i think that if americans wern't so conserned about always getting the new, then stores like walmart wouln't exist, because we would again care about getting value for our dollar, instead of getting something cheaper, that we know we will be replacing in a few months anyways.

But walmart sell everthing i need in one store so at least Im saving on gas by shopping in one place.

YOU MUST BE RICH AND CAN CHOOSE AND BESIDES I LOVE WALMART