brandy asked in PetsFish · 1 decade ago

Can Goldfish have to much oxygen in there tanks?

My goldfish currly's eyes recently began to get this pushed out look, they are still flat but it looks like his eyes are bigger and extended farther out, not flat with his body. the day before this happened our air pump began to pump more air into the tank than normal. He is eating well, and behaving normal, but this funny look to his eyes have me worried. He is the only fish in the tank, and I have had him almost 2 months. We had to deal with ick the first few weeks, and I treated with salt, then 2 or 3 weeks ago I noticed a few white spots so i changed 1/2 the water and retreated with the Aqarium salt again, his body looks fine, its just his eyes look odd. Any tips or any thing would be helpful, i just hope he dosnt have anything.

Favorite Answer

the water can only actually hold so much oxygen so no, they cant have to much oxygen in the tank, as for the eye thing, it sounds like pop eye, just go to the pet store and ask for something that will treat that, i tend to like the mardel products, i believe its one called maracyn 2 that treets that good luck

No, not unless the air in the room is seriously deficient in oxygen (in which case the window should be open, as much for your own sake as that of the fish). Air contains far more free oxygen than water ever does, so oxygenating the water is mostly a matter of circulating the water so that all the water spends a lot of time in contact with the air surface (at the top of the tank). Your filter and air pump are presumably accomplishing this, and it doesn't matter much at all whether the window is open or closed.

I just wanted to point out that Ick cannot be cured by salt. Please get some Super Ick Cure at a petshop, or any other Ick treatment. The Salt will make him a little more comfy and may perk him up, but salt should be used for healing wounds, or bacterial issues. Also, you may want to buy a master test kit and check his water condition. And please do frequent small water changes. Your goldfish will thank you greatly.

I use this website quite often to look up stuff for my goldfish. It is very helpful. No your goldfish can never have too much oxygen. http://www.goldfishinfo.com/identify.htm

It seems you got hell alot of diseases in there. Yes. get that pop eye treated, and change the water at least 50% of the water.

Don't worry about pumping too much oxygen. It won't happen.

=)

It isn't the oxygen, its a disease called pop eye. Just go to the store and buy the treatment. Don't wait too long though or he may start eating spinach!!!:0)

No you can't pump too much air into a tank...is he still in the salt water??...that could be a problem.

no, you cant have too much oxygen

it sounds like your fish has Pop Eye disease

I haven't dealt with that in a long time and

I cant get to my books, don't know if there

is a remedy for it

Source(s): goldfish breeder 35 yrs

sounds like pop eye try a product called MELAFIX it works great for ick and regrowth of fins and ulcers

I think it could be dropsy. Check out this website for treatment options. http://www.kokosgoldfish.com/Dropsy.html

Goldfish are "FRESH WATER" fish. My guess is part of the problem is the SALT!