"Food Insecurity" - how is this possible in a "Booming Economy"?

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/11/15/national...

( 1 ) 35 million americans don't have enough to eat, yet I keep hearing about our booming economy ... how is this possible?

( 2 ) How is it possible to be in a booming economy while the average family of 4 needs to spend $160./wk on groceries, but only makes $205./wk ?

( 3 ) The USDA decided to eliminate the word, "hungry". The 35 million people aren't hungry ... they're experiencing "Low Food Security". What? Did they think we wouldn't understand those 3 words? Like, maybe we'd think "Low Food Security" meant something else?

( 4 ) Bush has stated that by the year 2010, the current number of folks dealing with "Food Insecurity" will be cut in half. Easy math tells me that 17.5 of our current "Low Food Security" folk will have full stomachs in 4 years. Ok, but with population growth, won't there be more than 17.5 million Low Food Security people left behind?

( 5 ) How could this happen in the U.S.A. ???

Favorite Answer

This is indeed a "booming economy". I have heard the people of Haliburton say it a number of times. Seriously, I am tired of people trying force feed us that the economy is doing so great. It is not. There are a number of problems with it. Here are just a few.

a one trillion dollar war

out of control spending in government

record numbers of foreclosures

college tuition and health care costs doubling

20% of Americans owning 80% of the stock

record deficits in spending

national debt doubling

trade deficit every year for the past 30 years

millions more in poverty every year

half a trillion dollars a year spent on interest this year on

national debt. yes, that was just the interest.

"real income" down each of the last five years

personal savings at an all time low

This doesn't sound like America. Unfortunately it is.

Bushs incompetence stretching across all lines

I really love the fact that people use the Stock market as an indication that the economy is doing great. I know the market is necessary but every time a dollar changes hands these guys get a cut so they just keep swapping stuff back and forth to make more money. The whole thing is rigged, prices are artifically pumped up, or sucked down. And the market people always get their cut. A company sets record profits and their stock drops(EXXON and Microsoft) other companies do nothing but lie about their assets and outlays and that stock goes thru the roof then the big boys pull their money out and make a fortune and all the small investors lose their shirt (Enron and Worldcom) And on top of this you have guys like Grasso He used to be prez of the NYSE

he gets a retirement package worth 220m

Meanwhile the REAL economy is doin bupkus, The U.S. is hemorging manufacturing. Good Jobs are being outsourced to China and India. The cost of Gas and healthcare have tripled

College costs 50k a year and were supposed to buy this crap about a great economy while the Govt overspends their budget by 500 mil a year

1. Easy math tells me that 425,000 Americans don't have enough to eat in my city. That's simply not true. Unless 'not enough to eat' means less than 3 square meals a day.

2. Average income is $340/week. And my family of 3 do very well on exactly $100/wk.

3.Not sure what the question is.

4. Does a 'full stomach' automatically mean not hungry?

5. As usual, it's a sham for some group to siphon more money from the government.

It's kind of like the term 'the rich'. Until a clear description of what 'hungry' is, you can make up any argument in your favor. Heck, I was hungry today, should I get some government grant?

I think using the word "hunger" would be inaccurate, because it implies a third world condition bordering on famine and starvation, which we do NOT have in the USA.

Where did you get the figure of 250 a week for the average family of 4?

You didn't ask why OBESITY is the number one health problem in poorer minority communities. That would probably mitigate some of your other data.

I suppose it's akin to the reason why scientists and politicians are not using the term "global warming" any more. Now it's called "global climate change." GW is too specific - if they say GCC, then no matter WHAT happens, they can blame us and our SUVs

Love Jack

• Cinner

I have a family of 5 which includes three teenagers and I don't even spend $160 a week on groceries. That's ridiculous. Besides around here the low income children can get two meals a day free at the schools, even in the summer. I don't believe these stats for a second. But that's what you get for watching CBS news.

***BTW maybe if some of these families didn't spend 50% of their income on alcohol and drugs they could feed their kids.

That is so true!! I will stand and look in the pantry that is full of food...but nothing seems appealing to me. So I just open a bottle of water, and I'm good. I've learned that sometimes when I think I'm hungry, my body is really asking for water.

The economy is booming because other industrial sectors are improving but agriculture might be at a loss causing food insecurity.

Ever heard of Food stamps? Catholic charities? Salvation Army? Food banks? Food Lines?

Family of 4 making $205 a week?

How many families of four work for minimum wage?

Minimum wage is mainly high schoolers and college students that are still living off of mom and dad.

Maybe if you can't feed yourself you shouldn't have children.

It's not that I want you to think I'm insensitive, though you probably will.

Those numbers are ridiculous. Total crock, I tell ya'.

The average family makes $205 per week? Where? In the US? Think again, dear-heart.

Really. I am not trying to be offensive and I am merely stating that some of the biggest people I know are also the poorest. Believe me they are eating very well.