Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthMental Health · 1 decade ago

Which is safer Lexapro or Zoloft?

Favorite Answer

that really depends on what your doctor says. different people have different needs. also, what is the best for you at one point could not necessarily be the best at another point. i have family members that have been switched from paxil to celexa to zoloft to lexapro because their needs have changed.

• Anna

I am fairly positive that most if not all anti depressants are not safe while breast feeding. If you have post partum, you really need to put your meds as priority and feed baby formula or find a wet nurse. Lexapro and celexa are in the same class and very simular. I was on lexapro for about two years. A couple months ago I was in hosp for cancer treatment and was having depression issues. They switched me to celexa, which I dont think has made a change. I have never been on zoloft, so I cant say anything about it for sure.

The first head-to-head study of two antidepressants shows Lexapro is not only as effective as the popular antidepressant Effexor XR but appears to relieve symptoms faster with fewer side effects... Lexapro is the same as celexa. They have much less side effects and they are easier to take someone off of a ssri.

In a study on patients who suffer from major depression, the drug Effexor was more likely than Prozac or Zoloft to result in full recovery.

Researchers suspect Effexor is more effective because it acts on two different brain chemicals that transmit messages and are thought to control mood.

I take lexapro and believe me the side effects aren't bad, in comparison to zoloft, that stuff can make you sick.

They are both in the ssri (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor) class and have very similar safety and side effect profiles. I would say they are equally safe and equally effective. For some reason, some people do better with one or the other. My research has shown they have similar side effects, with the most common being decreased sexual arousal and difficulty with orgasming. Dry mouth and stomach upset are fairly common, but the stomach upset usually goes away after a few weeks.

I don't know which one is safer, because they are in the same family of meds...I will tell you that I personally prefer Lexapro because it has fewer annoying side effects.

between the two, lexapro, but it's still tough

Zoloft...i swear but it...paxil is good 2

both about the same, all drugs have some side effects , but its worth it if you feel lots better.

Neither are safe.