Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMusic · 1 decade ago

Im on a school comp. and for some reason they blocked out Kanye West on wikipedia, can someone paste it for me

Im doing a project where i have to know about him, thx.

Best Answer

Kanye Omari West (born June 8, 1977) is a six-time Grammy Award-winning American producer/rapper of Nigerian descent.

Biography

Kanye West was born in Atlanta, Georgia, and moved to Chicago, Illinois with his family when he was three years old. His father, Ray West, was an award-winning photo-journalist at the time, and now works as a pastoral marriage counselor.[1][2] Kanye's mother, Dr. Donda West, worked as the Chair of the English Department at Chicago State University before retiring to serve as Kanye's manager.

After attending Columbia College Chicago, a Chicago art school, West attended Chicago State University, but eventually dropped out in order to begin working on his music career. While attending school, West produced for local artists. He later gained fame by producing hit singles for major hip-hop/R&B artists, including Common, Jadakiss,The Game, Alicia Keys, Jay-Z, Memphis Bleek, Beanie Sigel, Cam'Ron, Janet Jackson, Hugh "MC Son" Ryan, Brandy, Eminem, Talib Kweli, Keyshia Cole, Dilated Peoples, Ludacris, Carter Hays, and John Legend. He also "ghost-produced" for producers such as Deric Angelettie according to his song "Last Call" and many speculators.

West's style of production utilized pitched-up vocal samples, usually from soul songs, with his own drums and instruments. The first song he produced featuring vocal samples was "This Can't Be Life," a track from Jay-Z's The Dynasty: Roc La Familia. Kanye admitted that Wu-Tang Clan producer RZA influenced him in his style;[3], and has said on numerous occasions that Wu-Tang rappers Ghostface and Ol Dirty Bastard were some of his all time favorites. In the song "I am the one", he names No I.D. as his mentor.[4]

[edit] 2001

Kanye was found by "Dame Dash" and his sound was featured heavily on Jay-Z's critically-acclaimed album The Blueprint, released September 11, 2001. His work was featured on the lead single "Izzo (H.O.V.A.)". West soon became a major name in hip-hop production following the release of the album, but struggled to find a way to get a record deal. Jay-Z admitted that Roc-A-Fella was initially reluctant to support West as a rapper, claiming that he saw him as a producer first and foremost. Multiple record companies pushed him aside because he was not the stereotypical hip-hop artist. Companies felt he was not as marketable as rappers that portray the "street image" that is prominent in hip-hop.

[edit] 2002-2004

On October 23, 2002, Kanye was involved in a car crash after falling asleep at the wheel while driving home from the recording studio. The crash left his jaw fractured in three places, and he barely survived. The crash also provided inspiration for West's first single, "Through the Wire," which he recorded two weeks after the incident while his mouth was still wired shut. Following his recovery, Kanye became a born again Christian, crediting Jesus for his quick recovery.[citation needed] West's faith is apparent in many of his songs, such as "Jesus Walks," which became a staple at his benefit performances, such as the Live 8 concert. These songs were featured on West's debut album, The College Dropout, which was released on Roc-A-Fella Records in February 2004, and went on to receive critical acclaim. The album also defined the style for which West would become known, including clever wordplay and creative sampling.

Kanye was involved in a financial dispute over Royce da 5'9"'s song "Heartbeat", produced by West and released on Build & Destroy: The Lost Sessions. Kanye maintains that Royce never paid for the beat but recorded to it and released it; hearing him on the beat, the original customers decided not to buy it from West. After the disagreement, West vowed to never work with Royce again.[1]

[edit] 2005

On August 30, 2005, Kanye West released his second album Late Registration. Reviews ranged from glowing ("Late Registration is an undeniable triumph" -Rolling Stone) to mixed ("As ornate and bloated as West's ego". -Spin magazine Sep 2005, p.99). With the help of producer Jon Brion, West expanded his sound on Late Registration utilizing samples in different ways along with compositions of strings and other sounds. [2] The first two singles from Late Registration were "Diamonds from Sierra Leone" (which contains samples from Shirley Bassey's "Diamonds Are Forever") and "Gold Digger" featuring Jamie Foxx (which contains samples from Ray Charles's "I Got a Woman") to sell over 860,000 copies in its first week,[citation needed] and earned him eight Grammy Award nominations including Album of the Year and Record of the Year for the song "Gold Digger".

[edit] 2006

In January 2006, West again sparked controversy when he appeared on the cover of Rolling Stone in the image of Jesus wearing a crown of thorns. Later that month, he suggested in Playboy that he'd be a griot in a modern day Bible claiming, "I throw up historical subjects in a way that makes kids want to learn about them." Seeing himself as an inspirational speaker, West claimed he would be "a part of the Bible" citing he is "definitely in the history books already."[citation needed]

After the 2006 Grammy nominations were released, West said he would "really have a problem" if he didn't win the Album of the Year award because of the comments, saying: "I don't care what I do, I don't care how much I stunt — you can never take away from the amount of work I put into it. I don't want to hear all of that politically correct stuff." [3]. West won several Grammy awards, including Best Rap Album, but did not win the Album of the Year Award. The award instead went to U2's How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb. Ironically, in November 2006, West was the opening act for U2 during the 5th leg of their Vertigo Tour in Australia.

On August 5th, 2006 Kanye headlined the second day of the Lollapalooza music festival in his hometown of Chicago. Later that month, People Magazine reported that Kanye became engaged to his girlfriend Alexis while spending two weeks overseas with her. [4] Also in August, West produced the underground smash single 'We Rollin' for The Game and his protege, Juice.

On November 2nd, 2006, when "Touch the Sky" failed to win Best Video at the MTV Europe Music Awards, West went onto the stage as the award was being presented to Justice and Simian for "We Are Your Friends" and argued that he should have won the award instead.[5] Hundreds of news outlets worldwide criticized the outburst.[6]

Political views

On July 2, 2005, West appeared on the Philadelphia bill of Live 8, using the global platform to refer to "man-made diseases placed in African communities," a reference to the OPV AIDS hypothesis. [verification needed] He also accused American politicians of insensitivity, claiming they "...[ride] home in their Benzes and Bentleys while poor Africans starve."

Some critics of West have argued that statements such as this could be seen as hypocritical considering the information gathered from the Kanye West episode of the MTV series "Cribs." The episode features West's mansion, extravagant cars, and many other superfluous possessions that seem to be on par with any of the possible exorbitant possessions owned by American politicians that West raps about.

In the song "Crack Music", he raps, "How [did] we stop the Black Panthers?/Ronald Reagan cooked up an answer," a reference to the theory that the Reagan administration intentionally placed crack cocaine in the ghettos of the United States. In the second verse, he raps, "Who gave Saddam anthrax?/George Bush got the answer," a reference to chemical weapons being sold to Iraq in the 1980s and '90s.

Demonstrating his views against George W. Bush, in a 2006 live orchestral performance of "All Falls Down" (later released on "Late Orchestration"), West replaced "the White man gets paid off of all of that", with "George Bush gets paid off of all of that".

On August 22, 2005, the MTV special All Eyes on Kanye West aired, in which West spoke out against homophobia in Hip-Hop, claiming that hip hop has always been about "speaking your mind and about breaking down barriers, but everyone in hip-hop discriminates against gay people." He then reflected on a personal experience. He said that he had a "turning point" when he realized one of his cousins was gay. He said, regarding this experience, "This is my cousin. I love him and I've been discriminating against gays." He went on to say that "not just hip-hop, but America just discriminates against gay people." He concluded by saying "I wanna just come on TV, and just tell my rappers, just tell my friends, 'Yo, stop it.'" He also drew comparison between African Americans' struggle for civil rights and today's gay rights movement.[5]

The following year, in an interview with Entertainment Weekly, West further expounded his experiences with and views on the relationship between the black and gay communities:

I think in the daily life of a black male, we gay-bash way more than we disrespect women. We would call a gay guy a fag to his face. But if we walked up to a woman and said Aiight, *****! we would know that was disrespectful. I remember five years ago I was in this clothing store in Greenwich Village with my old girlfriend. I said the word fag kind of loud and there were some gay dudes in the store. My girlfriend was like, Yo, c'mon, step into the new millennium. Well, my level of consciousness has since raised. And I actually think that standing up for gays was even more crazy than bad-mouthing the president. In the black community someone could label you gay and bring your career down. But that was me showing what black people are really about today, or at least what we need to be about.

Hurricane Katrina controversy

Kanye West denounces the response of President Bush and the American media to Hurricane Katrina at relief telethon as Mike Myers stands nearby.On September 2, 2005, during a benefit concert for Hurricane Katrina relief on NBC, A Concert for Hurricane Relief, West was a featured speaker. Controversy arose when West was presenting, as he deviated from the prepared script:

I hate the way they portray us in the media. You see a black family, it says, 'They're looting.' You see a white family, it says, 'They're looking for food.'And, you know, it's been five days [waiting for federal help] because most of the people are black. And even for me to complain about it, I would be a hypocrite because I've tried to turn away from the TV because it's too hard to watch. I've even been shopping before even giving a donation, so now I'm calling my business manager right now to see what is the biggest amount I can give, and just to imagine if I was down there, and those are my people down there. So anybody out there that wants to do anything that we can help — with the way America is set up to help the poor, the black people, the less well-off, as slow as possible. I mean, the Red Cross is doing everything they can. We already realize a lot of people that could help are at war right now, fighting another way — and they've given them permission to go down and shoot us!

Mike Myers, whom West was paired with to present, spoke next and continued as normal by reading the script. Once it was West's turn to speak again, he delivered the controversial phrase:

George Bush doesn't care about black people.

Although the camera quickly cut away, West's comments still reached all of the U.S.

Kanye West and Mike Myers would meet again on a brief sketch on Saturday Night Live, in which Myers jokes that since the telethon, the government has stripped him of his American citizenship ("still got my Canadian citizenship to fall back on," Myers joked), and placed him under heavy government surveillance. As an unmoved West moves on to his scheduled performance ("Party on, Wayne," West says before walking off-camera), Myers breaks down and cries.

[edit] GOOD Music

Main article: GOOD Music

"GOOD Music" (an acronym for Getting Out Our Dreams), is Kanye West's own record label. Artists on the GOOD Music label include John Legend, Common, GLC, Consequenceand Fonzworth Bentley. West is currently working on upcoming albums from these artists. In October 2006 the record label was dropped by Sony and all acts have been dropped apart from the above. [6]

[edit] Pastelle Clothing

Main article: Pastelle Clothing

In September 2005, West announced that he will release his Pastelle Clothing line in spring 2006. [7] The clothing line has been delayed until the fall of 2006. [7]

[edit] Awards

[edit] 2006 Grammy Awards

On February 8, 2006, West won three Grammy Awards after being nominated for eight, alongside Mariah Carey and his own protégé, John Legend. At the ceremony, West performed "Gold Digger" with Jamie Foxx and members of the Florida A&M Marching 100 marching band. He also performed "Touch the Sky" after an appearance by long-time friend and comedian DeRay Davis, who revisited his character as the leader of the fictional fraternity "Broke Phi Broke" from Late Registration. His nominations included (Awards won in bold):

Album of the Year, for Late Registration

Album of the Year, for contributions to Mariah Carey's The Emancipation of Mimi

Record of the Year, for "Gold Digger" (featuring Jamie Foxx) (from Late Registration)

Best Rap Album, for Late Registration

Best Rap Song, for "Diamonds from Sierra Leone" (from Late Registration)

Best Rap Solo Performance for Gold Digger (from Late Registration)

Best Rap/Sung Collaboration, for "They Say" (featuring John Legend and Common) (off Common's Be)

Best R&B Song, for co-writing Alicia Keys' "Unbreakable"

[edit] 2005 Grammy Awards

In 2005, Kanye West received ten Grammy Award nominations, making him the most nominated artist of 2005. At the 47th Annual Grammy Awards ceremony held on February 13, 2005, West won Best Rap Album for his album The College Dropout, Best Rap Song, along with long-time friend and rapper Rhymefest, for his single "Jesus Walks", and Best R&B Song for producing Alicia Keys' "You Don't Know My Name." West performed at the show alongside John Legend, Mavis Staples and the Blind Boys of Alabama.

His 2005 Grammy nominations were (Awards won in bold):

Album of the Year, for The College Dropout

Album of the Year, for contributions to The Diary of Alicia Keys

Song of the Year, for writing "Jesus Walks", along with co-writer Rhymefest off The College Dropout

Best New Artist

Best Rap Album, for The College Dropout

Best Rap Song, for writing "Jesus Walks", along with co-writer Rhymefest off The College Dropout

Best R&B Song, for co-writing Alicia Keys' "You Don't Know My Name" off The Diary of Alicia Keys

Best Rap Solo Performance, for "Through The Wire," off The College Dropout

Best Rap/Sung Collaboration, for "All Falls Down (featuring Syleena Johnson" off The College Dropout

Best Rap/Sung Collaboration, for "Slow Jamz" (featuring Twista and Jamie Foxx) off The College Dropout

West's 2005 Grammy Acceptance Speech[citation needed]:

Y'all might as well get the music ready 'cause this is gonna take while. When I had my accident, I found out at that moment, nothing in life is promised except death. If you have the opportunity to play this game called life, you have to appreciate every moment. A lot of people don't appreciate their moment until it's passed. And then you got to tell those Al Bundy stories: 'You remember when I...' Right now, it's my time, and my moment, thanks to the fans, thanks to the accident, thanks to God, thanks to Roc-A-Fella, Jay-Z, Dame Dash, G, my mother, Rhymefest, everyone that's helped me. And I plan to celebrate, and scream and pop champagne every chance I get, 'cause I'm at the Grammys baby! I know everybody asked me the question, they wanted to know, 'What, Kan, I know he's gonna wild out, I know he's gonna do something crazy.' Everybody wanted to know what I would do, if I didn't win... I guess we'll never know.

[edit] Others

After losing the Favorite Breakthrough New Artist award to Gretchen Wilson at the 2004 American Music Awards, West went on a rant against the music industry, claiming "I was the best new artist this year," and "I got 10 Grammy nominations, and won three — even if I should have won all 10" [8].

Kanye West was named 'Best International Male Artist' at the 2006 Brit Awards in London. He also gave what was generally considered one of the standout performances of the ceremony[citation needed], performing a medley of Diamonds from Sierra Leone, Gold Digger, and Touch The Sky. During Gold Digger, he danced with over seventy female dancers, who were painted gold and dressed in gold bikinis.

West has opened up for U2 on quite a few dates during their Vertigo International tour and is set to open 3 dates for the Rolling Stones on their 2006 "A Bigger Bang" Tour.

1

Source(s): Save Your Marriage http://enle.info/SaveYourMarriage

Yea I read that awhile ago. I can respect Kanye for wanting to reach out to the younger generation of MCs, but he said dude was like Nas because Crank That had a hidden meaning and Soulja Boy used steel drums in a song. So yea, Kanye has lost his damn mind. The Game or Game or Game The is doing that 3 mixtape sh*t too. Chances are, I'm not checking out ONE of your mixtapes. Releasing three is an oversaturation of material. Not that Gucci and Soulja Boy have decent material that can be watered down in the first place.

Wow! thank you! just what I was searching for. I tried looking for the answers on the internet but I couldn't find them.

This is bugging me as well

lol i am 2...