Is British food as bad as everyone says?

Update: Some interesting answers here. I was more referring to the standard of food eaten in Britain than Brit food as a genre. I am actually British and spent some years abroad defending our gastronomy to disbelieving foreigners! When I returned I couldnt believe the slop served up in a lot of restaurants and the high... show more Some interesting answers here. I was more referring to the standard of food eaten in Britain than Brit food as a genre. I am actually British and spent some years abroad defending our gastronomy to disbelieving foreigners! When I returned I couldnt believe the slop served up in a lot of restaurants and the high prices attached. I guess I just hadnt known any better before. Its a bit better within London but you have to agree that the overall standard of restaurants in the UK, whether Indian Chinese, Mexican etc is not high and most peoples evening meals at home consist of some E-number ready meal from Tescos warmed over which costs half the price of a something from the fresh aisle, madness!
36 answers 36