Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingToddler & Preschooler · 1 decade ago

what pregnancy/child care book is best?

prego part mostly down. but mostly scared about the child care. so loloking for books on it. so i'm asking what books would you suggest and why?

Favorite Answer

Here is a list of some GREAT parenting books!

Your Baby and Child by Penelope Leach

Comprehensive guide to the child’s physical, cognitive, social, and emotional development from birth to age five. Offers sensible advice to parents for many of the challenges commonly presented at each stage of development.

Children: The Challenge by Rudolf Dreikers

Presents no-nonsense advice and techniques for dealing with many misbehaviors using natural and logical consequences.

Redirecting Children’s Behavior by Kathryn J. Kvols

Provides many techniques to guide families to become close, cooperative, and respectful. Provides great ways to set limits in positive ways. Helps solve the “mystery” of why children misbehave.

Discipline Without Tears by Rudolf Dreikers

Stresses encouragement, cooperation, and disciplining children lovingly and effectively.

P.E.T. Parent Effectiveness Training by Thomas Gordon

Addresses issues of family communication, conflict resolution, and raising responsible children without shame or punishment.

Discipline That Works by Thomas Gordon

Provides evidence that punitive discipline and punishment are harmful to children and are ineffective as a means to fostering children’s good behavior. Provides strategies to help children control their own behavior.

Punished by Rewards by Alfie Kohn

Highly compelling argument against the use of extrinsic praise (“Good job!”), prizes, and reward systems in child rearing. Presents alternative, more effective, means to raising well behaved. Creative, highly achieving children.

Guiding Young Children by Eleanor Reynolds

Practical problem solving techniques that exclude the use of punishment, blame, or guilt. Presents techniques for developing listening skills, negotiation, conflict resolution, and setting limits.

Source(s): Montessori preschool/kindergarten teacher (12 years experience) M.A. Early Child Development
  • arita

the assumption of the youngsters having specific skills (unsure appropriate to the low interest span) sounds plenty like Indigo little ones. Ever heard of them? that's rather useful to study that slightly and contain that because of the fact something of the plot does sound exciting. possibly the 11 month pregnancies would have something to do with mankind evolving, or perhaps some variety of scientific attempting out. i'm unsure how else it would artwork because of the fact each and every pregnant lady i've got ever usually happening became waiting to bring about if the toddler hadn't been born by utilising 9 months. except someway the ladies human beings have been hypnotized and used as guinea pigs for this test. The cult component jogs my memory slightly of Rosemary's infant, yet with quite a few little ones extremely. Then i ask your self how the cult chief is familiar with which women human beings have the longer pregnancies or the thank you to tell the specific little ones apart from commonplace little ones - or do they try all little ones and if so, how did they get to this type of power? Then i ask your self how those little ones are separated from their mom and dad long sufficient to be examined and then killed? it would desire to be exciting if the cult became rather grooming those women human beings in this extraordinary medical test (yet back if it became diverse than Rosemary's infant). are not getting me incorrect, the techniques listed decrease than are rather great in spite of the undeniable fact that it does look to choose slightly greater fleshing out. I do recommend examining Rosemary's infant (great e book - great movie too) in spite of if in effortless terms for theory and to verify your techniques are much greater unique. i like the place you're going with this so shop springing up it and many success to you!

I used

"What to Expect When You're Expecting"

"What to Eat When You're Expecting"

"What to Expect the First Year"

"What to Expect the Toddler Years."

You can also get a free years subscription for Babytalk which is from the editor's of Parenting Magazine.

I also have the subscription to Parents Magazine which is very informative

Dr. Sears - The Baby Book

The "What To Expect" Books Are really good. I have What to expect in the toddler years.Very educating me and my then roomate found ourselves looking to each other to "look this up in the book" it was our terrible two's bible, also I hear Dr. Sears has the number one baby book. check out the links. Good Luck

The one from the American Academy of Pediatrics, it's not bad.. I got to tell you though.. I have a bunch of books and I read them when he was an infant.. at about 6 months I never picked them up again.. they just sit on my shelf - no book is going to be able to tell you what your kid is like- you pretty much learn as you go :) Good Luck and Congrats!

Penelope Leach Birth to age five. It explains everything from pregnancy to beyond age five. It is easy reading. You can find it darn near anywhere

"The Baby Book" by William & Martha Sears.

I hate the "What to Expect" series. :)

i think the best books are the what to expect.... books. i know there's one what to expect when your expecting and what to expect in the first years they are really good books they give you good incite and helpful tips on almost anything you can think of