What are Dow jones Nasdeq( spelling?)?
What are they. im new in the stocks so...
- 1 decade agoFavorite Answer
The Dow Jones and NASDAQ are few of the exchanges where securities are traded.
Dow Jones, or "The Dow" as it usually called, is the oldest index in the US, founded in 1884 by Charles Dow. It first included 11 stocks (nine railroads and two industrials). In 1896, the Dow Jones Industrial Average, DJIA, was launched, tracking the overall performance of only industrial stocks.
Now, the Dow Jones Index includes 30 biggest stocks and one of the averages that investors mostly follow.
The Dow Jones Industrial Average consists of the following 30 companies:
* 3M Co. (NYSE: MMM) (conglomerates, "manufacturing")
* ALCOA Inc. (NYSE: AA) (aluminum)
* Altria Group Inc. (NYSE: MO) (tobacco, foods)
* American Express Co. (NYSE: AXP) (credit services)
* American International Group Inc. (NYSE: AIG) (property & casualty insurance)
* AT&T Inc. (NYSE: T) (telecoms)
* Boeing Co. (NYSE: BA) (aerospace/defense)
* Caterpillar Inc. (NYSE: CAT) (farm & construction equipment)
* Citigroup Inc. (NYSE: C) (money center banks)
* Coca-Cola Co. (NYSE: KO) (beverages)
* E.I. du Pont de Nemours & Co. (NYSE: DD) (chemicals)
* Exxon Mobil Corp. (NYSE: XOM) (major integrated oil & gas)
* General Electric Co. (NYSE: GE) (conglomerates, media)
* General Motors Corp. (NYSE: GM) (auto manufacturers)
* Hewlett-Packard Co. (NYSE: HPQ) (diversified computer systems)
* Home Depot Inc. (NYSE: HD) (home improvement stores)
* Honeywell International Inc. (NYSE: HON) (conglomerates)
* Intel Corp. (NASDAQ: INTC) (semiconductors)
* International Business Machines Corp. (NYSE: IBM) (diversified computer systems)
* Johnson & Johnson (NYSE: JNJ) (consumer and health care products conglomerate)
* JPMorgan Chase & Co. (NYSE: JPM) (money center banks)
* McDonald's Corp. (NYSE: MCD) (restaurant franchise)
* Merck & Co. Inc. (NYSE: MRK) (drug manufacturers)
* Microsoft Corp. (NASDAQ: MSFT) (software)
* Pfizer Inc. (NYSE: PFE) (drug manufacturers)
* Procter & Gamble Co. (NYSE: PG) (consumer goods)
* United Technologies Corp. (NYSE: UTX) (conglomerates)
* Verizon Communications Inc. (NYSE: VZ) (telecoms)
* Wal-Mart Stores Inc. (NYSE: WMT) (discount, variety stores)
* Walt Disney Co. (NYSE: DIS) (entertainment)
The NASDAQ, created in 1971, the Nasdaq was the world's first electronic stock market. The Nasdaq is a computerized system that facilitates trading and provides price quotations on some 5,000 of the more actively traded over-the-counter stocks.
The term "Nasdaq" used to be capitalized "NASDAQ" as an acronym for National Association of Securities Dealers Automated Quotation. In recent times, the acronym was dropped, and Nasdaq is now used as a proper noun.
The Nasdaq is traditionally home to many high-tech stocks. The big ones include Microsoft, Intel, Dell and Cisco.
The NASDAQ is an over-the-counter exhange trading mostly technology stocks.
- Anonymous1 decade ago
NASDAQ - A stock exchange
Dow Jones - Publishers of the Wall Street Journal
The Dow Jones indices are simply a selection of shares that are used as an indicator of general trading trends in specific market sectors
- ?Lv 44 years ago
Both events "want" the inventory marketplace, as a healthful economic climate is major for any president. It turns out like John McCain isn't rather speakme approximately it, however Obama turns out involved approximately the hassle. I feel that if Obama wins, there might be extra trust restored to buyers, as he's speakme approximately the economic climate extra and can a minimum of attempt to arise with a plan to aid out. Though McCain does no longer talk at the economic climate a lot, I'm certain that he's going to do anything to revive religion in buyers in order that the Dow can begin relocating within the confident path once more.
- Yada Yada YadaLv 71 decade ago
Dow, Nasdaq, and S&P 500 are indexes or baskets of stocks.
They're used as a proxy for the various markets. So when the S&P, Dow, and NAsdaq are up, they say the market is up.
Here's how you read the #'s part.
Here's general info on the indexes.
For Mon, Dow closed at 12,131.88
It was up 23.45 or -0.19%
Today's high was 12164.70
Today's low was 12084.81
Hope that helps!
- How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
- 1 decade ago
it's Nasdaq, and I believe it's a large group of stocks (much like the S&P 500, for example.)