Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationCar MakesFord · 1 decade ago

How do I bypass the PATS anti-theft system on my 1997 Ford Expedition or reset it so it'll start with my key?

I misplaced my key and some idiot-*** locksmith kept sticking non-PATS keys into my ignition until the anti-theft system went into starter disable mode. Then I found my key, but now the anti-theft system isn't recognizing my original PATS key. I heard that it can be easily reset to disengage the no-start feature so it takes my original key without my having to pay to get it done at a dealership. And I need to move the truck out of a no-parking zone ASAP before my landlord has it towed off, so I'd very deeply appreciate it if anyone can give me a speedy answer. Thanx in advance!

Favorite Answer

This is a old Pats system on this vehicle... No way to deactivate it

You can cut a new key and do what others have hinted at to program a new key (I don' t know the exact procedure as I have the test tool to program it)

The system, if untampered with, should allow you to restart the car with the correct Pats key after waiting 30 seconds. IF it was tampered with by the locksmith, he might have undone something or your key is bad and if the Theft light is blinking you are basically screwed short of getting a PATS key cut at the dealership and programming it with the directions found on the net (and yes I've heard the Non Ford scan tool way is roughly 1 hour)

At least you are lucky.. 1999 and after you would be SOL due to locksmiths not having the back door to program anymore..

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

I misplaced my key and some idiot-*** locksmith kept sticking non-PATS keys into my ignition until the anti-theft system went into starter disable mode. Then I found my key, but now the anti-theft system isn't recognizing my original PATS key. I heard that it can be easily reset to disengage...

Source(s): bypass pats anti theft system 1997 ford expedition reset 39 ll start key: https://shortly.im/PUEit

It's going to take some time and patience, but this should help.

Put the key in the ignition and turn it to the run position.

Theft indicator proves out after 2 seconds and then flashes rapidly.

After 15 minutes of flashing, The theft indicator will stop flashing.

Within/Before a few minutes (5 I believe), after it has stopped, turn the key off and then back to run.

Within/Before a few minutes ( 4 on the second time), after it has stopped, turn the key off and then back to run.

After 15 minutes of flashing, the theft indicator will stop.

All original programmed keys will be erased and the key in the ignition is programmed.

This is the procedure for programming a new key. Since you are programming an existing key, it may work on the first pass which is the procedure for programming a spare key. I hope this helps.

Source(s): Former Mercedes Benz Tech & MB ELITE Graduate.
  • oleary

Ford Pats

there isn't a way to bypass the pats system. the only way to program pats key is at a ford/mercury/lincoln dealer and you need a minimum of 2 keys to do it.

sorry but that is the only way......unless you know someone who works at a ford dealer and has their own tester/computer

Source(s): ford dealership

There is no way to over ride the pats key.

The only time it does this is when the temp is below 28 deg it is frustrating

did you look in the owners manual .... :)