Did couples actually sleep in twin beds in the "olden days"?

On tv, we see married couples in twin beds, but was that actually commonplace, or was that just so that viewers would not be offended? (silly viewers)

I'm more interested in what actually occurred than what was on tv. I am wondering if the stuff on tv reflected reality.

• jgmafb
    Favorite Answer

well,i'll take a chance and bet,i'm the oldest one answering this question.(76)of course they had to on t.v but,it wasn't that far off.as a matter of fact lots of your european couples had completely different bed rooms as did the southerners.the seperate rooms are still common today,in many parts of the world.

but yes,lots of older couples had twin beds for various reasons.

• rouch

Twin Beds For Married Couples

• jaspal

Used Twin Beds

My own parents always slept in a double bed together, however I did have an Aunt and Uncle who used two twin sized beds in the same room. Apparently he had a very, very bad back and even the slightest movement could interrupt his sleep and cause it to start in again... remember, they didn't have the medical aids (convenient non-electric heating pads) and the kinds of meds they have now to treat such things. HAH! When I was a young teen I used to assume this meant they didn't do anything together ... then I realize they had six children and always slept pretty much apart, soooo ... there went that theory. Regarding FCC though - they also couldn't show a toilet on TV for many, many years. Even on commercials for a short while, they wouldn't show a toilet, they'd just sshow a product and talk about cleaning a toilet.

No, we sleep together now as much as we did back in the day. It was the network execs that didn't want to put it on TV. The Brady Bunch was actually the first show to have a married couple sleeping together on camera.

• Esma

No. That really was just so people wouldn't be offended. They also were not allowed to say the word, "Pregnant" (Lucille Ball, when she was pregnant on I Love Lucy, had to say she was "with child") or show belly buttons (I Dream of Jeannie).

The first couple to be shown in a double bed on TV was Wilma and Fred Flinstone.

Source(s): I watch alot of TV Land and Nick at Night.

Yup. When I was a kid, I noticed that my grandparents had twin beds in their bedroom. That was back in the 1960's.

It was usually only on tv. but sometimes, two people just weren't comfortable in a double bed. they didn't used to have queen and king sizes

• Sarah

No. I'm 54 & I never knew any couples that slept in twin beds. My parents, their friends, aunts & uncles grandparents I guess they were just too sinful, huh?

No. Television or movies would not allow couples to be on the same bed.