cammie
cammie asked in PetsCats · 1 decade ago

How do I keep my 6-month old kittens off the kitchen counters?

I am away in the days at work, and sleeping at night, so I cannot always "shoo" them off 24/7. I saw something called the "Scat Mat" online, but they are like $50+ which is expensive. Does anyone know where I can find cheap Scat Mats or good alternative?

Favorite Answer

Hi there...consider using double-sided sticky tape to prevent the counter-surfing habits. This works quite effectively and you only need to replace what the kittens pull off with their paws. Eventually, the kittens will learn that the countertops are no longer a pleasant place to go since they keep getting their tender paws stuck to the sticky substance. It's recommended to leave the tape up for a brief time as kittens are naturally inquisitive/curious as well as have short-term memory. Therefore after multiple attempts they will soon begin to remember where not to go.

Source(s): Feline Trainer to domestic and exotic cats

I used a scat mat ten years ago to keep my kitty away from the front door so I could come in without her getting out. It was $60 then.

I would just relax about the situation and keep the counters clear of dangerous or breakable things. If there is nothing interesting there the cat will eventually stay off them. Scat mats aren't large enough to cover all your surfaces. You can put double-sided tape, aluminum foil etc. - about as much trouble as just keeping them cleared off.

• loux

have you ever tried to do slightly volunteer paintings "Kitten Sitting" for a cattery or a special-by making use of cat guard practices society? you often merely look after a kitten for each week (2 on the main) just to get it used to being on my own with human beings. Make some enquiries alongside those strains and see the variety you get on. in the journey that your mom sees which you're in charge with the common care of distinctive cats she could come to settle on your augments for 2 pets of your individual. the two way you will a minimum of be getting it slow with cats. sturdy fulfillment!!!!!!

Get a small squirt gun, fill it with water and when the kitten gets on the counter, say "No" or "Down" and give him a little squirt. After a few times, the kitten will get the message.

just keep taking her off the counter while you are home and saying no . don't squirt water at her and don't yellcats are NOT dogs maybe you should get a dog or maybe a bird . because you need to be realistic, if you are not home she or he will do what it wants ITS A CAT! HELLLLOOOO!!!

it makes me so frustrated and angry ..people never think before they get pets and now if the cat won't stay off the dang counter you will probably "get rid of it" as if it were some "possession" and not a being with a soul and a heart. how sad. yo person with the sticky tape idea thats an AWESOME IDEA good show!

• aussie

go to the dollar store and get those cheap mouse traps. Set them up on the counter tops. They will startle the cat but will not harm it.

I never had cats or kittens but my friend does and she use to swat them lightly with a fly swatter and they actually didn't jump up on the table or counters any more

• grrl

This may sound mean but it doesn't hurt & teaches quickly. Get double sided tape & stick to the counter tops.

If you can, try to keep the cat out of that specific room. Don't try an method if you don't feel comfortable with it.