hummer for police dept? unecessary expense by taxpayers?!??

ive seen a hummer police car,anyone else think this is an unecessary expense??

whats the need for this big gas guzzling vehicle??

hey guys,im going to call that police dept & ask them how it was paid for,since you've all got me wondering.i think though it was just paid by normal police funds though.ill find out.

Favorite Answer

On the surface I would agree with you that a Hummer is a huge waste of taxpayer dollars. However, most police departments have a need for a few armored vehicles for extreme situations. If the Hummer is used for that purpose I would see it as a good decision. For daily routine patrols the Hummer is clearly overkill.

Chances are it was either confiscated from a drug dealer or bought from the DOD surplus lot for a dollar, either way it didn't cost the taxpayers nearly as much as a regular patrol car.

A new Crown Victoria costs around $22K and an Impala is $20K.

Over the life of the vehicle the increased gas cost probably wouldn't come near the difference in purchase price.

I think its good PR to convert drug dealers cars to high visibilty police vehicles, it sends a message!

In almost all cases you see a Police Dept. with Mustangs, Vettes, Hummers etc... those vehicles are seized and cost the taxpayers nothing. When the police seize drug money it can only be used to buy equipment. So there are a limited amount of items that they can spend the money on. They can't compensate the officers or turn the money over to the respective counties or citys. The county over from us has 2 BMW's and a corvette all seized from drug busts on I-95.

Depends on what the use is. Is it for a swat or attack team, is it a amoured vechile used in high risk warrant work.

Does that department have alot of off road work.

It is used mostly as a PR move taking it to schools and events.

And it may have been given to the department form military surplus or as a selling tool of a car dealer.

It makes more sense for the police to have hummers than for the rest of the citizenry to have them. Weren't they originally military vehicles? I'm fine with the police having them.

Yes. You should write a letter or at least find out who is responsible. I didn't go to work and pay my taxes so they could spent it on a oversized gas guzzling vehicle. This tax money should have been used for other purposes, or returned to the taxpayers. These people who make these choices should be held responsible!

They probably siezed the vehicle in a drug case. Ever hear of civil asset forfeiture? Basically if you "use" your vehicle in the commission of a felony, they can sieze the car even if you are later proven not guilty and even if the car belonged to somebody else.

Now they gave them hummers? You know these are personal cars too, don't you? They are allowed to drive them on personal business off duty, with free gas courtesy of the meal tickets they despise so much

Usualy they are donated by a dealership to get the free advertising.So even if they guzzle gas we save money in the end

I have seen all types of cars used for police vehicles. I would rather pay for a hummer than pay millions of dollars for illegal immigrants or people who refuse to work who are perfectly capable of doing so.