Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenCleaning & Laundry · 1 decade ago

Stupid question but...can I machine was a dry clean only comforter?

I have a microsuede 100% polyester comforter , it says dry clean only. Do you think anything will happen if I machine wash it?

• Sugar
    Favorite Answer

It can be washed in cold water on the gentle cycle. But you will need a place to hang it or flat dry it. Does not need to go into the dryer.

I have always washed my "dry clean only" clothes and they were fine. Just make sure you wash it in cold water on the delicate setting.

However, if the comforter is large, it may be a waste of time for you to do it yourself because it wont have enough room in your washing machine and it will just sit there in a clump while the agitator goes around.

For best results I would recommend taking it to be professionally cleaned, not because it says to dry clean it, but because of the size.

• Rich Z

The machine will shake it until the stitches break and the filling clumps up into unusable lumps. At that point it is worthless. Dry clean it and next time buy a machine washable one.

I've wondered and experimented w/ the same thing....except ours was a silk duvet cover. I washed w/ woolite on gentle and air dried....it required ironing...but was fine. If you do decide to machine was it...you might consider a Laundromat washer as they are larger...less chance of wrinkles. Again, gentle cycle, liquid soap (powder may lump), and air dry.

Good luck!

p.s.

if you happen to have matching shams or something else w/ the fabric...consider experimenting w/ it first.

I wouldn't do that. Typically, designer fabric is not intended to do through that process. Also, if it's DRY clean only, it isn't even supposed to be wet. Some people try Dryell (which is dryer only) and have good experiences.

Source(s): I had a custom made beadspread that got a tad bit wet and the fabric was permanently lighter in that spot. Not good.

yes, if your washer capacity w/allow a comforter, you can wash it on the delicate cycle -- air drying is preferred and a quick fluff in the dryer can take out the wrinkles

• Beau R

Yes you will ruin it. You are stuck with a "dry clean only product."

• it will shrivel up & shrink ( my husband accidently did this

to a pair of my dry clean only dress pants )

Do what the label says , DRY CLEAN ONLY !!!!

It will shrink like crazy.