Can any computer people help me ?

Heya people thanks for cumin in and cin my question

Erm i need to know a way to get rid of pop ups and also what is the best virus protection that i can get for free?

Thanks

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer
  • G
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

These scans will get rid of pop ups.

All of these are ones that I personally use and all are free.

AVG Removes I-Worm/Stration · BackDoor.Generic3.GBB and .GBC · Worm/Generic.FX · Exploit.WMF

http://free.grisoft.com/doc/5390/lng/us/tpl/v5

Spybot - Search & Destroy detects and removes spyware, a relatively new kind of threat not yet covered by common anti-virus applications. Spyware silently tracks your surfing behaviour to create a marketing profile for you that is transmitted without your knowledge to the compilers and sold to advertising companies. If you see new toolbars in your Internet Explorer that you haven't intentionally installed, if your browser crashes inexplicably, or if your home page has been "hijacked" (or changed without your knowledge), your computer is most probably infected with spyware. Even if you don't see the symptoms, your computer may be infected, because more and more spyware is emerging. Spybot-S&D is free, so there's no harm giving it a try to see if something has invaded your computer.

http://www.safer-networking.org/

http://superantispyware.com/

SUPERAntiSpyware is the most thorough scanner on the market. Our Multi-Dimensional Scanning and Process Interrogation Technology will detect spyware that other products miss! SUPERAntiSpyware will remove ALL the Spyware, NOT just the easy ones!

Easily remove over 100,000 pests such as SmitFraud, Vundo, WinFixer, SpyAxe, SpyFalcon, WinAntiVirus, AntiVermins and thousands more!

Make sure after you download any of these, that you update them.

• 1 decade ago

AVG anti-virus; find links to good, free security programs at:

http://komando.com/downloads/categories.aspx?cat=S...

If you have pop-ups, you can take steps to block them. Here are things to do:

The Google toolbar has an excellent pop-up killer. Install the Google toolbar: This little program appends itself to the upper area of Internet Explorer. Its pop-up blocker is very effective. Click the Help Pages link for more information. To get started, go to: http://toolbar.google.com/

Close the Messenger service hole: Messenger service is a utility included in Windows XP and 2000. It is used by system administrators to send messages to everyone on a network. Spammers have learned how to exploit it.

Do not confuse Messenger service with Windows Messenger. The latter is an instant messaging service included in Windows XP. It is not part of the pop-up problem.

Are you receiving pop-up ads even when you are not connected to the Web (even if you are running anti-spyware programs)? Then you are being spammed by a different type of pop-up ad that can not be blocked by anti-spyware programs (anti-spyware programs block Web pages from popping up unbidden). In this case spammers are using the Windows Messenger Service.

The Federal Trade Commission warns that Windows users should disable Messenger Service to prevent unscrupulous marketers from filling their screen with unwanted ads.

Windows Messenger is part of Windows XP and has nothing to do with the traditional instant messaging.

To disable Messenger Service:

Click Start, Control Panel. Click on Performance and Maintenance (in Category view)

Click on Administrative Tools

(In Classic view: Click Start, Control Panel, Administrative Tools)

Double-click on the Services icon and then scroll down to Messenger

Right-click on Messenger and click Properties

On the General tab, click the Stop button

Click the down arrow in the Startup type drop-down list box and click Disable

Click OK

Messenger Service cannot be disabled in Windows 98 or ME.

Many software companies that distribute their pop-up advertising software by packaging it with free programs (such as peer-to-peer software) deny their products are spyware. These companies defend themselves by pointing out that users can usually find a reference to their software somewhere in the user agreement (EULA). Beware of any language indicating that third-party software will be installed or the sharing of customer or marketing data. (Of course, if someone is shady enough to include spyware, there may be no notice at all.) They also know that by making the End User Licensing Agreement long and wordy, most people will simply click to agree to it without really reading the agreement. But what about spyware that does not warn computer users when it takes up residence on their computer(s)?

Read the EULA terms when you download software—legitimate programs will tell you if they include spyware.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Adaware is good, free virus protection software.

www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/

Spybot Search and Destroy is good too.

A good web browser with built in pop-up blockers is Firefox. Firefox also has a tabbed browsing feature. I strongly recomend Firefox.

www.getfirefox.com

All of this software is free.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

a free best antivirus would avg antivirus it removes everything and gets alot of updates and the results are remarkable it is a wonderful program to use. i would also recommend adaware se personal edition. Go to www.download.com to get these antivirus programs

• 1 decade ago

Are you using windows? If you are, you can get Windows Defender Version 2 (or somewhat). It should help you on pop-ups. Though, please be aware that it will require genuine windows for us to download. For, Antivirus, AVG will also help.

Click Here : www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/default.mspx

:)

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

go to the top of your page and click on tools and it might say pop blocker settings or something like that

Source(s): I'm a genius
  • Mark
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

I found this site pretty helpful http://www.basicspywaretips.com/getridofspyware.ht... lots of free

security tools

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.