Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsBiology · 1 decade ago

Diffusion?

What is the eventual result of diffusion? Can you describe concentration prior to and at this point? I don't get it. My teacher gave us this sheet and she never even taught us how to do it! Please help me!

Favorite Answer

Diffusion,

being the spontaneous spreading of matter (particles), heat, or momentum, is one type of transport phenomenon. Diffusion is the movement of particles from higher chemical potential to lower chemical potential (chemical potential can in most cases of diffusion be represented by a change in concentration). It is readily observed, for example, when dried food like spaghetti is cooked; water molecules diffuse into the spaghetti strings, making them thicker and more flexible. It is a physical process rather than a chemical reaction, which requires no net energy expenditure. In cell biology, diffusion is often described as a form of passive transport, by which substances cross membranes.

Examples of diffusion

A balloon filled with helium will deflate a little bit every day, because helium atoms diffuse out of the balloon through its wall

When spaghetti is cooked, water molecules diffuse into the spaghetti strings, making them thicker and more flexible. Adding salt to the water reduces diffusion by reducing the osmotic pressure.

Carbon dioxide bubbles in soft drinks start as small nuclei and grow because of the diffusion of carbon dioxide molecules towards them

my god! i hate bio,, bt herez the answer for ya:

diffusionz the transfer of molecules or particles from high concentrated regionz to low concentrated one to create areaz with the same concentration,,,thatz called down concentration gradient,,,ya have to mention that name too