Scientific Diving for Underwater Archaeology? (Prefer Great Lakes suggestions.)?


Starting my graduate program in a month in History with Museum Studies and Archaeology cognates. Having trouble locating the information I need about learning the underwater archaeology tradecraft. Can anybody, preferably a diver, introduce me to some resources I would need, specifically certification levels and recommended certicification agencies that I would need to be competitive in this job market, once I complete my degrees? Thank you in advance for your time. Will be in the Great Lakes (Michigan) region, so anybody that is local to the area would be an added bonus.

3 Answers

  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    At a bare minimum, you'll need an Open water cert. Having that will be limiting, however. It's only good to 60 ft and doesn't include training for overhead environments (wreck penetrations). You'll be able to survey the exterior of a structure, not the interior. PADI, NAUI, SSI and IANTD all offer this type of course. All are about eviqvalent in training.

    Ideally, because many un surveyed wrecks lay below 60 ft in the Lakes, you'll likely want to delve into technical diving, giving you longer bottom times to complete work. PADI does offer what I consider a "beginner's course" in tech, but the best agency to learn it is IANTD in my opinion.

    The next certs you'll want to go for is a ROV and remote sensing Ops. We have depths going down as far as 1200 feet, beyond the ability of tech gear and training to deal with , cost effectively and safely. Having a remote operated vehicle operators certificate will enhance your employment prospects.

    Here's a few local links to archeology in our area and ROV training.

    As for diving courses, select your training by the caliber of the shop, not necessarily by the the actual training association they are affiliated with.

    Good luck and maybe pass on some hush hush side scan info. I'm always looking for new wrecks to dive. :)

    Source(s): unrestricted surface supplied commercial diver, IANTD tech diver, chamber op, gas blender
  • 1 decade ago

    Don't quote me on this but I am sure you need to get your basic and advanced diving certification and I would probably complete the shipwreck diving course.

    Good Luck! Underwater archaeology is extremely facinating!

  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    the great lakes are cold. make sure you have a damn good suit with some warm things underneath. if you are going to great depths make sure your gas mixture is correct.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.