Being a server and tips received/short changed?

Okay this is a weird question, I just got a second job as a server. I haven't done this in 20 years anyhow as servers we cash peoples checks out of our own 'drawer" meaning that our manager gives up a certain amount of cash at the beginning of our shift and we make the change out of that drawer. well tonight I came up $20 short and was told I had to make the difference up from my tips, is that legal. I don't know what happened, I didn' take their money, I think it had to do with a voided take out order or making change for a $100 bill, anyhow is it legal for the manager to demand you make the difference up out of your tips if you are short?

Favorite Answer

Doesn't seem to be so. It's not your fault, how do you know the manager didn't snake out the $20?

You should have told him to f*ck himself.

• brim

that is in all possibility a legal. that is fraud and theft of the buyer's money. The credit card companies might probable become in touch in pursuing the server for this fraud, as nicely to the buyer, their financial employer and the police. whether the server is accepted to artwork interior the eating place marketplace back or not is in all possibility based upon whether he or she fesses as much as the crime on later applications. on your employer's risk-free practices it would be clever to distance yourselves from this server and his misdeeds.

I know of places that do this unfortunately. Do you have the option to provide your own "drawer" instead of using theirs?

Yes, it's legal. Count the change carefully.