Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsGeography · 1 decade ago

why is greenland not really green? and why is iceland not really ice?

i want to know the rationale behind those names; because they are really not as to what they are called might imply...cheers

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Emina
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Oh my... Iceland is called Ice-land because when Hrafna-Flóki, the man who named it, walked up some mountain he saw sea ice in the bay below. Not because the country was covered with ice. We have glaciers but it doesn't cover the land like in Greenland. I don't know why Greenland is called that, but I know that it barely snows in Iceland. We have to use machines that make snow so we can ski. It gets cold, but it's not like living in a freezer. You shouldn't judge the book by its cover.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Greenland was named by Erik The Red, possibly in an attempt to attact more settlers. Although the southern area is green in the summer and could also explain the name. Iceland was named by a Scandanavian explorer who settled there during a cold winter.

• 1 decade ago

They were named by the Vikings to throw off their enemies. Greenland is really ice covered and rarely gets green whereas Iceland is much more "green" as it experiences seasons.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I just read the first four answers and they're not true.

Iceland does literally mean ice land (Island in Icelandic) and it is mainly ice-covered. Almost all the people live in and near Reykjavik, the capital, in the warmest, south-western, corner.

Greenland (Groenland in Danish) was named by a Danish outlaw explorer who wanted to impress people at home that he'd found somewhere good to live. In fact only the extreme coastal fringe in the south of the island, especially the south-east, is free of ice, and then only in summer.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Greenland IS green and Iceland IS pretty icy.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Greenland was green when it was founded by one of the Erikson but because of ecological changes it became icy.

• 4 years ago

I hadn't observed. i think of those different solutions ought to be precise. yet with their theory i think of we ought to continuously call our usa "welcome" and according to risk anybody attempting to thieve our land will flow away.

• 1 decade ago

those are just names they go by for one of many posible reasons.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.