What can you tell me about the National Guard?

I’m working on a story idea, but ran into a lack of knowledge problem.

The story is about the a state, some fifteen years from now, trying to leave from the United States. They want to remain friendly with the rest of the states, but will no longer supply men, money, weapons, nor supplies of war to the US military.

Now, my knowledge of the national Guard stems from Civil War history, where the Guard were basicly state militias, under command of the state in which they came from.

So, my idea was that the National Guard of this particular state would be, or try to, withdraw from the nation’s service, and be brought up to protect the state itself when the US tries to take back the state.

(please note that this is a work of pure fiction intended for many years from now.)

I need to know how the politics of the National Guard works.

Is the National Guard like state militias?

How do the orders come down to the individual state’s Guard?

Who do the orders come through?

Does the state have some influence over the Guard’s orders?

Any information will be very helpful. Even if it means I have to rethink the story.

Thanks a bunch.

Favorite Answer

There are three components of the United States Army and the United States Air Force. Each is comprised of the Active Component and two Reserve Components. One Reserve Component is the Army/Air Force Reserve. The other is the Army/Air National Guard.

There are three general authoriteis for use of the military. ADSW (Active Duty for State Work), Title 32, and Title 10, of the US Code.

The Active Component is subject at all times to Title 10 authority. The Reserve is Subject to Title 10 authority when called to orders. The National Guard is Subject to Title 32 in its relationship to the Federal government, and my be calle dto Title 10 service, The state uses ASDW authority for active use of teh Guard.

The differences; ADSW--Governor is Commander in Chief, the state Code of Military Justice applies, State pays expenses, Posse Comitatus does not apply. Title 32--Governor is Commander in Chief, state Code of Military Justice Applies, Fed pays expenses, Posse Comitatus does not apply. Title 10--President is Commander in Chief, UCMJ applies, Fed pays expenses, Posse Comitatus applies.

At all times, other than when called into actual Federal Service (Title 10), the National Guard is the constitutional Militia of the several states.

The precise relationship between the Guard and the Active componet can be quite complex. For example, generally, an officer of the Guard, above the rank of CPT must be federally recognized. This makes it easier to move units and personnel around when the Guard is federalized (called to Title 10 service), but the Constitution reserves the appointment of militia officers to the states. In some cases, Adjutants General of a given state may not be federally recognized. Some states' governors appoint the AG, and some are even elected in a partisan election.

Source(s): I am a seving NCO in the Army National Guard. USC Title 10 and 32.

The National Guard was originally intended to be a state militia. Eventually they just became part of the US Armed Forces. It is the oldest branch of the US Armed Forces. The Militia Act of 1903 organized the state militias into the present system it is in today. They act as part of the National Armed Forces unless a state emergency happens, such as a shootout, natural disasters, or something to the like. The orders come down to the individual state's guard from the Governor if it is a state matter, or the President if it is a national matter, such as a war that that state's National Guard has been ordered to become involved in. The orders come from the above people. The state can have complete control over their state's National Guard group if their is a state of emergency in the state.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Army_National_Guard

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Guard

I'll attempt to hold this quick and candy. You'll move to Basic Training after which Advanced Individual Training (AIT) and after that it is one weekend a month after which a 2 week coaching each and every summer time. The National Guard can pay as much as $4500 a yr to your university school, which for such a lot schools is ample to hide the fee. If you are going to a extra high-priced college, I'm no longer one hundred% definite however I consider you'll be able to take out a federal mortgage and they're going to pay again as much as $20,000. Ask approximately that one. What you do at the weekends all will depend on what you pick as your process and what your unit is like. I'm a mechanic and we exhibit up Saturday morning, do a little renovation, hang around while we are not running, possibly do a little PT on Sunday morning, and go away Sunday afternoon. If you get assigned to a well unit you can love the Guard. You can nonetheless be deployed if you are in university, nonetheless, for those who sign up for the SMP (Simultaneous Membership Program), I'm beautiful definite you are exempt from activation. That's for those who desire to do the ROTC factor. I'm no longer an informed at the SMP software even though. What do you propose on finding out in university? You must pick an MOS that is concerning the process you desire, given that army coaching continuously appears fine on a resume.

The National Guard is a state supported military, it is a militia. it's funded by both the Fed and their respected State governments and is under the direct command of the Governor of the state (just as the regular and reserve military is under the President as commander and chief.)

The National Guard is still, because it is funded by the Fed as well, accessible by Congress to augment the National Military. They can be mobilized as a complete unit or in pieces to fill in various positions.