sweetpea77thst asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

How should I clean my dog's "Kong" toy?

My dog's "Kong" was filled with canned dog food and given to him. he ate it and afterward the "Kong" was put in a plastic bag and the bag was knotted on the top. I left the "Kong" in the bag too long because when I opened the bag the "Kong" has some mold in the inside of it. It's a new "Kong" so I'd prefer to be able to clean it and continue to use it. I've thought about bleach, but keep in mind that my dog will be chewing and licking the toy--can I use bleach to clean it? Or, do you think something else would be better? Someone suggested I put it in the dishwasher, what do you think of that? If I do the dishwasher route would you put it in with dirty dishes or would that be gross? Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks.

• Carson
    Favorite Answer

Stick it in the dishwasher...the water gets hot enough to sterilize. I just stick mine in with the rest of the dishes and the dog bowls.

Just was in a mild detergent - DO NOT BLEACH! Apart from the fat that the bleach could quickly deteriorate the rubber, causing bits to break off and be swallowed, the bleach can also be absorbed into your Kong

I'd soak it in warm soapy (anti-bacterial soap) water then use a bottle brush to clean it out. Wash it a few times and use a bottle brush to clean it really thoroughly. Rinse well. If that doesn't do the trick then get a new Kong.

• Elena

I think the dishwasher would be an OK idea.

You might just want to wash it with one of those steel scrubbers and wash it normally with soap to make sure all the mold and excess dog food is off it.

Just put it in the dishwasher. The water gets hot enough that it kills all the germs.

Barring that, soak it in hot water with dish washing liquid. The rubber they use rinses easily.

Cheers.

soak for about a hour in 1 part bleach/3 part water mixture, rinse out loose stuff then wah in dishwasher(top rack), then air dry. now it's clean and steralized

dishwasher, me personally i would put it by itself, I would turn the high heat off though.

• Lilly

rubber, or plastic toys are porous....they absorb things...like mold spores.

i would throw it out and buy a new one! *i know the Kongs are pricey...but seriously...that' nasty!

Pitch it in the garbage and buy a new one, ya skinflint!

Source(s): Jesus

Just get a new one.