What do states base the percentage rate for child support? And anyone know what Ohios percent is?

I am getting a divorce from my husband we have a son and i just want to have some idea what to ask my lawyer to go after. I do not want to be unresonable, but he has not been his sons life in two and a half years and has not givin me anything in that time my son deserves at least something. But i am so well novice at this i was hoping for advice. Mommyblues

4 Answers

  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    Ohio here too.

    child support is not totaly up to the judge, it's set from the annual income of the family.

    "if the" annual income is $60,000 mother made $20,000 and father $40,000

    father earned 2/3 of the household money, child support is based on a predetermined chart from the state.

    one child having $60,000 household annual income will be taken from the chart, guessing it to be around lets say $600.00 per month, father will pay 2/3 of that amount being $400.00 per month. if the mother has to pay she'll pay only 1/3 or $200.00 per month.

    the time for the starting point of said child support is the day the two of you parted ways.

    if you search the web you should find the chart.

    Source(s): me and my GF have two children together,a few years back we were in court and ordered to have all the paper work completed, she refused to sign and we had the court draw up new child support papers to not alow either of us to go after back child support. we have a good relationship and didn't want that to be a lever, most people don't think about doing the right thing prior to anything and we just happened to be ones that the state helped see it right. here is a good culator to use. http://www.alllaw.com/calculators/childsupport/ohi...
  • 1 decade ago

    Colorado bases it's formula on a number of things:

    income for each party

    work-related child expense

    number of overnights the child spends per year with each parent

    The judge can also get a bit ticked if one or the other parent is voluntarily under-employed - a nice way to say " a lazy piece of cheese".

    The documents for this state are available on the net.

    Here's a place to start for Ohio:


  • 1 decade ago

    Each state does not differ that much, your lawyer will know how to construct the formula used for this. If you want to play nie and be reasonable, tell your lawyer so.. it's you paying them to do a job. Don't let them rule over you. Anyway, you can do a search for "child support calculators" and come up with a good idea how it will work.

  • 1 decade ago

    In MN it is 25% of his income before taxes. I should know I had to do it. Make him pay back child support. Get the state involved. They love going after these guys.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.