Yeast infection or herpes?

I was given a blood test for herpes about a year ago and it came up negative. I got a yeast infection that I think I've passed onto my boyfriend. His symptoms are extreme redness like a rash on the tip of his penis and on the side. The first time it happened, we treated ourselves with over the counter stuff... show more I was given a blood test for herpes about a year ago and it came up negative. I got a yeast infection that I think I've passed onto my boyfriend. His symptoms are extreme redness like a rash on the tip of his penis and on the side. The first time it happened, we treated ourselves with over the counter stuff and it responded to it. It basically went away for a couple of months, then I got pregnant (I had a miscarriage) and got another yeast infection. His rash is back now and I'm just scared that my test was a false negative. He says it doesn't bother him at all, just a little itchy once in a while. He's going to the doctor Tuesday and was treating it with Monistat and it was going away again but then he stopped because he wants to have something to show to the nurse.
Update: I've been tested twice since I have been in a relationship with this person. But only once for herpes. I've been in a monogamous relationship with this person for a year and a half and now we're getting symptoms.