Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsCancer · 1 decade ago

Do foods such as tomatoes or red apples cause stools to have red spots/ streaks on them??

The reason why i ask this is that I have had at least two stools that I have noticed that part of them had red streaks on them ( not too many, just sporadically on a normally colored stool) , which caused me to get alarmed since it kind of made me think it was blood and they say that blood in stool can be a sign of colon cancer. Of course i did eat tomatoes when the two cases of the red in the stools occured as well as a red apple with the skin, but I am still worried, even though when I wipe there is no blood on the toilet paper, nor is the water all bloodied, but I am still unsure, and I am thinking of seeing a doctor soon.....Also the stools appear in many peices not just one whole one..My diet is also pretty healthy as I eat plenty of fruits and vegetables and low in red meat, and I am excercising and in pretty good shape....I am 18 by the way and no history of medical problems to date

Favorite Answer

check with the doctor just incase, it could be just a tomato thing but it could also be something much more serious and just to ease your mind so you do not believe you are bleeding from different parts of your body everytime you ache (trust me, it is happened to me and I get all paranoid!). A word to the wise :You can never be too cautious when it comes to the weird things in your stool ;-)

Definitely....I have never heard this before and was totally in shock! I had eaten a bowl of the tiny tomatoes cut up with cabbage and have been eating 2 beets a day for over a week; you would think I should have no blood left in my system so although I'll continue with the beets until they are gone, no more tomatoes for a few weeks and then only if on a burger!

I haven't heard of tomatoes causing red spots in stool, unless you're eating an abnormal amount of them. You should probably consult a doctor.

Tomatoe skin doesn't digest, so yes you will have some undigested pieces left (like corn). By the way, blood in your stool usually makes it look dark-black not actual blood color. Hope this eases your nerves.

I eat tomatoes on a regular basis (almost daily) or drink Tomato juice and I have never experienced having anything showing up in my stools.

I would definitely have your doc check you out.

He/she can do a fecal sample check and see if anything shows up.

Good luck!

Dude, don't worry. It's called the salsa $hits. It's from the hard to break down skin on the 'matoes.

it is probably just the skin on the tomato, since our body doesnt digest it...just like corn, when we poop, there is corn in it b/c our body doesnt digest it and i have to go b/c my mom is getting mad...so basically that is it...

are you stressed? Do you have an ULCER?? I think you should go see a dr. just to be safe. GOOD LUCK

Consult your doctor about your concerns.

tomatoes will really do this and i suppose apples will to