Passing out after listening/seeing medical issues?

ever since i was a little kid i have passed out so much. when i see something discusting (like medical wise) or hear about a medical procedure/disease i get nauseaus and dizzy and i pass out. My mother is a doctor and she says that there is no explaination for this. But when i passed out last year in science (my teacher was talking about lasik eye surgery) my teacher told me that my blood vessels tighten when i am frightened and then they hold back blood, making me dizzy. But i dont know whether to believe that or not. Please do not tell me to go to the doctor, i have see 3 different doctors (not including my mother) and they have told me that it is just fright and there are no medical reasons.

It could be Vaso-Vagal, but for you who have said that you have the same issue (and you dont know what it is, because some of you do know) i searched it and another issue is Neurophysciatric situational syncope. My mom confirmed it and told me it was very well possible, and that it is close to Vaso-Vagal. Thank you so much for the help everyone.

Favorite Answer

I'm 14, and the EXACT same thing happens to me. I start to feel dizzy, everything in my peripheral vision goes black, and then I pass out. My doctor told me it's called vesil vega. With that, your blood pressure in your head builds up, then it can't keep up, so then the heart rate goes way down, and, a combination of that and the tight blood vessels your teacher told you about causes your vision to be partially (and, in my case, completely) blacked out from a lack of blood flow, so it's hard to tell if you're awake or not. The lack of blood flow causes you to feel tired, and you involuntarily pass out (it feels like you're asleep). Then, while you're passed out, your vessels relax and your heart rate goes up to a normal rate, and then you're fine. Also, this can be caused by anxiety, cuz your heart rate goes up, and then, from relief, it goes back down quickly.

P.S. I thought I was the only one that had this problem, cuz last month, I passed out in the middle of the parking lot after getting my tetanus shot. I felt like such an idiot :o)

I can't believe that no one has told you you are having "vaso-vagal" response. Your teadcher was closer than anyone else. Basically, this is a completely NORMAL response. It's not even that rare.

I'm not a medical professional, but I have the same problem. What happens is your body perceives a sort of "threat." That happens when you see someoen else being cut, injected, etc. This causes it to go into "crisis mode" in which you draw all the necessary blood in to your core...to protect your vital organs and maintain homeostasis (the process by which you regulate your temperature and other vital issues). This is what your teacher meant by telling you that your blood vessels "tighten." They constrict flow to your extremities and pull it in to your central nervous sytem, heart, and lungs.

Okay, here's the sort of "good" part. Women of child bearing age (probably you...if you're between 13 and 40!) tend to have lower blood pressure to protect against pregnancy. Being pregnant raises your blood pressure, so the lower it is to begin with, the BETTER for you! Congratulations, you are a GOOD CHILD BEARER. lol...

So, when your body stops pumping blood to your extremities, your blood pressure (already low because you're a GIRL) dips, causing you to have the symptoms you described. I get a sort of whooshing sound in my ears, my vision fills in with blackness, I start to sweat, and lose consciousness. It's really very horrible.

The fact is, this is not very unusual and it is NOT psychological. It's a physical reaction taht you can't help. I thought for years that I was afraid of needles, since i had this vaso-vagal reaction every time I got an injection or had to have blood drawn. It turns out, I just hate fainting!

Whenever you have to have a shot or have blood drawn, tell them you're a fainter. Reclining minimizes your reaction and keeps you from cracking your head open from falling.

And don't worry...it's normal and there's nothing wrong with you.

I don't know if anything can be done about this, but be persistant if it affects you badly enough. It's quite real. I work with someone who can't stand the sight of human blood. People have asked him how that can be because he's a hunter and has to field dress the deer. "Yeah, but it ain't human blood," he says.

A psychiatrist could give you a full explanation. It's probably a runaway fear reaction.

Make sure you're well hydrated - drink Smart Water, or Gatorade, something with electrolytes. Then call your doctor or go to urgent care. Get over your doctor phobia, you're being ridiculous. You might need intravenous fluids or it could be something worse.

I get this too and can't watch any of these A&E programmes. Your teacher's explanation sounds plausible .. that's probably the body's reaction when fear takes over.

http://www.angelic1healing.com/

maybe you have anxiety. A lot of people with anxiety pass out like this . The situation over whelms you .

same thing has happened to me my entire life. Just happed today. Paramedics came to the scene and determined I was fine...

good luck honey I don't know