Before Satellite technology, How were T1/T3/DS3 lines ran "under the ocean" from continent to continent?

You see DS3 lines ran from one continent to another in pictures like http://www.nthelp.com/images/cwix.jpg. How did they run these?

Favorite Answer

These were laid in much the same manner as telephone & telegraph cables were in the late 19th and early 20th century. By ship. Huge reels of cable were hoisted on to specially built ships. As the ship moved forward the cable was paid out through a hole in the keel. As each reel emptied a new one was spliced on. When the last reel was being used another cable ship came along side and the end was passed over for splicing.

• yakel

I gave up some time past, living in Scotland ( that's a factor of the bigger image of the united kingdom regrettably) I used to ask your self why the information casters could say issues like "significant land Britain" this is an island for goodness sake. i could see the element in the event that they reported mainland europe yet significant land Britain? If that could properly be defined as mainland Britain then guy could properly be an island. There you have it.

I was told they just laid on the bottom of the ocean. We have a river connecting our home office from ours and when it rained our computer systems would go down for a few hours. Already wet so don't know why, but they did.

I'm fairly sure we still use those lines, satellite isn't very fast for that sort of thing

your link doesn't work