lil_danca06 asked in HealthOther - Health · 1 decade ago

Does looking at a computer screen in the dark hurt your eyes?? more info.....?

Because my mom says it does, but I dont believe her. Could you help me out. Please serious answers only.

Like I mean severly damage them.

Favorite Answer

I'm not sure if it's true but I can think of a theory behind your mom's reasoning...

The pupil dilates in the dark to allow for better eyesight. The bright light of a screen close-up after your eyes are dilated may harm eyesight.

I do know that when I'm online in the dark, the glare begins to bother me and I start squinting at the screen.

C'mon, there has to be other things to do than looking at a computer monitor all day long! At least do SOMETHING, anything just to break the habit of looking at it every second. This could really help with your eyes as well. If anything, just pick up something like a Rubik's cube and play with it for a while. Watch a tutorial on how to solve it, you'll be going crazy with your new skill. And when you need to use the computer, just turn down the brightness of the screen. If you have a stand-alone monitor, play around with the buttons on the outside, you should be able to adjust the brightness. For a laptop, look for a FN key, hold it down, and look for some symbols on the F1,F2,etc keys that could correspond to brightness. Id it's still too bright, go online and see how you can lower it further on your computer.

it hurts my eyes but that is just me. It mostly just makes me tired though.

if you do it for a long time it does, but otherwise, it is a typical parent bullsh thing