Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationCar MakesFord · 1 decade ago

Is a 2001 ford focus a good car?

Favorite Answer

It is a decent car. It is very fast & very powerful in acceleration (0-60 in like 5 sec!) However it's braking is very poor compared to even dodge. Steering is much better than I have experienced. Also, the car comes with factory built MP3 CD player (yay!) However, there is one inconvenience - the handrest is located too close to the driver & too close to the hand-brake, so it is almost impossible to try to get your hand to release or put the hand-brake (you may be forced to not use the handrest). Quality of construction is cheap as in most American Ford cars.

Overall, I'd say you are getting a good deal for an economy/compact car. Trust me, this car is a 100 times better than any Chevy Aveo or Cobalt or Malibu crap/junk.

The Ford Focus is an extermly small vehicle so a 2001 would be quite crammed for a family of 3 or 4. I was just recently in a focus and they are crammed today. They are not bad cars but it depends on how many people will be in it and what you use it for.

the 2000 and 2001 models were known to be problematic according to Consumer Guide, and other sources. Mainly because they were the first two production years, and it took Ford a while to get the bugs out (so to speak). So, at best a 2001 would possibly be a gamble. 2002 (which is what I own, and love) and newer would be the suggested way to go.

Source(s): consumer report edmunds
  • ?

I know people that own them and they aren't happy. I also know of a guy who drives around town with a big lemon painted on his.

I've driven the 2001 and I wasn't at all impressed with the feel or the ride. Try looking at a Honda Civic, Subaru Impeza Or Toyota Corolla. They are in the same size range.

The Focus is a lot better car from 2003 on up.. after they upgraded to the Duratec engine.

Not that great but you can get one inexpensively in comparison to a Honda Toyota or other 'good cars" making it a good value

I think they are cute cars and great on gas. Check into it with KBB.com, as far as price and check around with others. A car choice is hard to make.

i own a repair shop,in Tennessee,and actually there good little cars to own ,if you can find a good one that's been taken good care of it would last you a long time,,there like any other car ,if there taken care of ther going to be alright if not there going to give problems ,good luck,i hope this help,s.

Source(s): been a certified mechanic for 36 yrs.

No the crash test ratings are poor

yes