Laura N asked in HealthWomen's Health · 1 decade ago

I have my 6 wk. postpartum checkup on Monday and I just started my period. What do I do?

This is my first baby, and I know that it said I would have a normal period in 4-6 weeks. Should I keep my appt. and go or call the doctor's office Monday morning, (since it is Saturday now), and let him know? Please help me!

• Favorite Answer

Congrats on your new baby!

In most cases the doctors don't care. Many women don't stop bleeding from childbirth until 8 weeks or longer. The doc saw you blood when you gave birth so it shouldn't be a big deal now. The only thing they are checking for is the position and size of the uterus and that is done with or without blood. Call the doc to make sure it's okay and let the nurses know when they prepare your exam room. They usually put down a large absorbent pad for you to sit on.

Once again congrats and good luck!!!

Source(s): *Mommy of 2 (3 years and 4 months) *OB/GYN Nurse

it is very normal

and its no big deal

you can still have your exam

the exam is only partly in your vaginal area

alot of it will be to see how your uterus and....(oh for the life of me i cant think what its called....but its a part below your uterus, the one that the nurse came in and pushed on while you were in the hospital after birth) that part is healing properly

go to your appt it wont be a problem

unless you are really really uncomfortable with it

but id try anyway...if you have an infection developing or something....especially if you had an epiziotimy, the stiches will need checked

dont worry about it

you have enough to worry aobut with your new baby then to fret on this

good luck and congrats

Source(s): me...mother of two

I'd let the office know. They'll tell you if they want to reschedule or not. I'm thinking you'll need to reschedule so he can look up there and make sure everything is ok. As a matter of fact, I'm pretty sure this happened to me with my second child.

Good luck and congrats on the little angel!

Source(s): mom of three!

I think that the doctor is very aware of this possibility, but if you are uncomfortable, call the office Monday morning and find out if the doctor still wants to see you, or if they want to reschedule.

• angel

Go anyway, and just tell the doc. Don't worry, the doc has had this happen before. Good luck with the new baby.

Contact doctors office as soon as they open and ask what is best. they may just have you come in anyway.

Congratulations!!

just go to your appointment if they feel they cant examine you then they will give you another appointment.plus to be honest i find going in person to make an appointment seems to be faster then calling then having to wait for them to call you back or putting you on hold forever.so yeah i would still go

the doctor should know that those stuff happen. but to be on the safe side you can call and check