Does God require a 10% tithe of all parishioner's incomes each and every week, according to the Bible?

Please advise?

Favorite Answer

No. Old testament Jews were required to tithe-that means 10%. Christians are not. Their offerings are not set. Christians are to give as they have been blessed.

Christians are under the New Covenant, not the Old Covenant any longer. Thus, we are not required to tithe. However, if you love someone, you want to please that person. If you love God, you'll want to please Him. To see what pleases God, go look in the Old Testament and see what He asked of His chosen people. Tithing pleases God; that's why I tithe. If you go read in Malachi (go to Matthew and turn left) you'll see where God promised blessings to those who would 'test' Him in the area of giving. Many modern Christians have learned the valuable lesson that, no matter how hard you try, you just can't out-give God. Try it. It's a fun lesson to learn.

Honestly, I make too little NOT to tithe. When I don't tithe, I can't make ends meet. When I do, I can. God has a different kind of math than we do.

This requirement from God only entails the Israelites or Jews from the Old Testament, but in the New Testament, Christians are not required by God to pay tithes because we live by God's grace rather than by the works of the law. God has given us the decision to give what is from our hearts which can be at 10%, less than that, or even more than that. It is according to our heart rather than to the law.

Source(s): It will be the Holy Scriptures of the New Testament, and do a word search about "giving" from the New Testament, not from the Old Testament.

Yes if not more. The OT requires a tithe and we see absolutely no reason that that changed going into the NT. Actually there were certain years that the Jews were required to give up to 23% !!

The 10% tithe is part of the Old Law, which Christians are no longer bound to due to Christ's death on the cross. As Christian's though, we are still obligated to give our time, talent, and wealth according to our means to help support the church as well as those in need.

I personally tithe, as I believe it is taught in the Bible...it is in the OT, so I think that 10% is the MINIMUM we should give, now that we are freed from the law. God has done some AMAZING things with our finances. when he was honoured with the tithe (right off the top BEFORE TAXES)!

Yes,

Look at the following verses:

Lev.27:30

Num.18:26

Deut.12:17

Mal.3:10

Luke18:12

Heb.7:8

Deut.14:22

Matt.23:23

The old testament tithes were actually more thatn 10% by the time you figure the portion of their fields they had to leave for the poor, the animals that they had to give and other things that they were required to do it actually would figure out to about 33% or more.

This is the passage that covers how and how much a person should give.

2 Corinthians 9:6 But this I say, He which soweth sparingly shall reap also sparingly; and he which soweth bountifully shall reap also bountifully. 7 Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver. 8 And God is able to make all grace abound toward you; that ye, always having all sufficiency in all things, may abound to every good work: 9 (As it is written, He hath dispersed abroad; he hath given to the poor: his righteousness remaineth for ever. 10 Now he that ministereth seed to the sower both minister bread for your food, and multiply your seed sown, and increase the fruits of your righteousness;)

No. People did give a portion and chose 10%, but it's not a command. Giving a portion to the Lord is out of a grateful and willing heart - it doesn't necessarily have to be monatary. Your time, your resources....furthering the kingdom of the Lord.