arthur g asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

my mother-in ilaw is 96 and has just lost her poodle, does anyone kow where we can pick up a little dog for he

hopefully in southern part of rhode island

Favorite Answer

Please don't get her a dog without asking her first. She may no longer want the responsibility of a dog but wouldn't know how to tell you "no" if you brought one to her. I know she loved her poodle, but please, please ask her before doing this. Something similar happened to a friend of mine with very unhappy results.

http://www.poodlerescuene.org/rescue_me.htm

This is a link to the Poodle Rescue of New England website- I strongly urge you to adopt an adult or senior dog for her. It would be senseless to buy a puppy that will live 20 years when (sadly) your mother in law will probably not. There are some older dogs for adoption on that website, so take a look, and good luck.

http://www.poodlerescuene.org/

This is the link for NE Poodle Rescue. I would highly suggest you get an older poodle for your mother in law since a puppy or younger dog will be difficult for her to train and require alot of exercise. Also when the mother-in-law passes someone will need to be prearranged as the new owner. Sorry to be morbid about that but it is important to think about considering her age.

I would only get a dog for her if

1) she wants one and

2) if you can check on her and the dog every day

Yup.. the pound is the place to go. I personally would choose a pound that has a "we don't put animals to sleep" policy. I like supporting places that keep them critters alive :) Lucky we have a shelter that we can get pets from that doesn't put them out.

With her age, I would not get a puppy. I would take her to the shelters and look at the dogs there. Maybe get one a few years old. Good luck.

• ®

Shelters or Rescues. Is someone in the family willing to take care of the dog if your mother-in-law is unable to? Considering her age.

Shelters are good places to look and I agree that she would probably benefit with an older, already house trained dog that she won't have to deal with all the puppy woes for.

Try the local shelter in your area, or try watching the newspaper, sometimes folks will list little puppies that need a good home. I know our local humane society lists some of the puppies they get in and need a good home.

Let her grieve for the lost of her poodle before you run out and replace it.

It could take her years to get over the loss of her pet, when I lost my dog it took me 15 years to replace her.

You should look at the shelter or maybe a poodle rescue league