lisa
lisa asked in PetsBirds · 1 decade ago

Bird house for Wren? What diameter should the hole/opening be?

Dad is making a bird house for Wrens. Hears that opening should be about the size of a quarter or nickel. Anyone out there know?

Favorite Answer

Hey!!! My dad is building a wren birdhouse too!!! Weird!! I had to find a site for him too! After seeing this site, he's made and sold about 20+ birdhouses!

Good Luck!!

For house wrens (which are smaller than Carolina wrens) use a 7/8th inch drill bit. Gramps said a nickel should pass through the hole, but not a quarter. The 7/8th inch hole will discourage sparrows, finches etc. if you really want to attract house wrens. Seems like a very small difference to us, but to wrens..... For Carolinas, use the 7/8th inch bit but ream/wiggle the bit a little to make the hole slightly larger.

i am not so Gd on sizing bird holes but we have about 5 bird houses and every year we have wrens,blue-**** and house sparrows in them but my size of holes are about 1 1/2in

• hume

I do have abode pets: 2 cats and one canine. specific, they get alongside rather nicely...until the cats initiate waking the canine with slaps! Then, it turns right into a velocity race around the abode.

one inch.